Let me get one thing crystal clear here. I made these as skewers but once I ran out of skewers, I just cooked the strips on the grill. And honestly, that’s what I would recommend. That way, you can just eat it by itself without burning your fingers on the metal skewers. But then you can always eat it on top of a salad or chop it into tacos or put it a scramble. Pretty much, this is just awesome marinated meat that you can do whatever with. If you need more ideas, just shove it in your face instead. That’s easier than thinking.
Some guy on Facebook told me this food looks like something that came out of a homeless guy’s butt. Let’s take a second to really let that comment settle in and think about these few things:
- Who is this creepy guy and why isn’t he making Saw films?
- Does he watch homeless people poop?
- Who poops chimichurri sauce? Because whoever that person is, I want to be their friend. Because sometimes you just don’t feel like making it yourself.
I mean, I kind of (but not really because I’m not gross…ok, as gross as him) get where this guy is coming from. These photos aren’t the sexiest they’ve ever been…because I was really freaking hungry and just wanted to eat. I gave up caring about the photo too quickly. Sometimes you just want to eat hot food for once, ok? OK?!
But let me making one more thing clear. IT’S DELICIOUS. It doesn’t taste like poop. It tastes like super awesome, tender meat that goes amazing with anything. Now that we have that topic settled, let’s talk about something more important.
I GO TO AUSTIN, TX NEXT WEEK AND GET TO SEE ALL MY PALEO FRIENDS! Once a year, I hit up Paleo(fx) and get to see all my friends that I rarely get to see. I think I’ve gone 3 years at this point and this will be my 4th! We got an airbnb, we have our list of restaurants ready to go, and I think I even talked Vanessa from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind into baking me things. I’M GOING TO EAT SO MUCH FOOD AND LAUGH UNTIL I PEE MYSELF. Man, I love this time of year.
- 2 pounds flank or hanger steak or flap meat (I used flap), thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 packed cup fresh cilantro
- 1 packed cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ medium white onion, minced
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- hefty pinch of salt, to taste
- Mango Salsa or Pineapple Jicama Salsa
- Thinly slice steak and place in a ziplock bag or sealable container.
- Make chimichurri: place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Cover and place in fridge. Divide in half. Pour half of the chimichurri on top of steak along with a hefty pinch of salt. Mix to combine and refrigerate for 4 or more hours. (I refrigerated mine overnight). Save the other half of the chimichurri for later.
- Make salsa and set aside for later.
- Once steak has marinated, remove from fridge about 30 minutes before cooking to help come to room temperature. Thread beef through metal skewers (remember, you don't have to do this step if you don't want to). Heat grill and grease a bit to help keep from sticking. Place meat on hot grill and cook for 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Repeat with all meat.
- Top meat with extra chimichurri and whatever fruit salsa you prefer on top!
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!