Thanksgiving Savory Bacon Butternut Squash Souffle
- 1 small butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise (about 2 cups pureed)
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut flour
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- ~1/4 cup rendered bacon fat (from the bacon you just cooked)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butternut squash cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until soft. Then scoop out the excess seeds (I scoop out the seeds after it bakes. It's way easier that way). Then turn down oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out the insides of your butternut squash and place in the food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Now place your diced bacon in a pan over medium heat and cook until crispy. Remove cooked bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with a paper towel.
- Now pour out the excess bacon fat into your food processor, leaving behind a tablespoon in the pan.
- With your butternut squash and bacon fat in the food processor, add your egg yolks as well. Puree until smooth, then add to a large bowl.
- In the pan with the leftover bacon fat over medium heat, add your minced garlic and sliced shallots.
- Cook until shallots are tender and translucent.
- Add shallots, bacon, coconut flour, herbs, salt and pepper to your bowl and mix well.
- Now in a separate large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold in egg whites into your squash bowl until no white streaks remain.
- Grease your ramekins with coconut oil and pour in mixture to each ramekin. My mixture made 5 soufflés.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve and love life.
Recipe by PaleOMG - Paleo Recipes at http://paleomg.com/thanksgiving-savory-bacon-butternut-squash-souffle/