Smoky Roasted Acorn Squash and Sausage Soup
- 2 acorn squash, halved
- 1.5lbs pork sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used a decent amount of salt)
- 2 tablespoons fat of choice
- pepitas (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Cut acorn squashes in half and place on a baking sheet, open side down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft to the touch.
- When your acorn squash has about 10 minutes left to cook, add a large skillet over medium heat along with your 2 tablespoons of fat, minced garlic, and diced onions.
- Once your onions become translucent, add your pork sausage to the pan and use a wooden spoon to break it up into pieces and cook until completely cooked through.
- When your acorn squash is roasted and soft, scoop the squash out of the skin with a spoon and place into a food processor.
- Then add your coconut milk and broth to the food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Then add your smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
- Place your pureed soup in a bowl, top with sausage, and sprinkle with pepitas.
- Eat up!
Your soup should stay warm while you are pureeing it because the acorn squash will be very warm, but if it does not stay hot, add your pureed mix to a saucepan and heat up on the stovetop.
Recipe by PaleOMG - Paleo Recipes at http://paleomg.com/smoky-acorn-soup/