Summer Squash Meatball Casserole
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small zucchinis, shredded
- 2 small yellow squash, shredded
- 1 red onion, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a grater or shredding attachment on a food processor to shred the zucchini, squash and red onion.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, add bacon fat and minced garlic, then add the zucchini, squash and onion.
- Let vegetables cook down until soft, then add ½ tablespoon cumin and coriander, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and a bit of salt and pepper to the vegetables and mix around to coat.
- Then add the diced tomatoes.
- Place ground beef in a bowl along with the rest of the spices and some salt and pepper. Form into meatballs. I made 9 meatballs with the pound of meat.
- Press each meatball into the vegetable mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Add fresh parsley on top.
- Eat. Yum.
Recipe by PaleOMG - Paleo Recipes at http://paleomg.com/summer-squash-meatball-casserole/