Guest Post: Chicken and Apple Sausage
- 2 large chicken breasts, or use 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped (or use 2 Tablespoons dried thyme)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped (or use 2 Tablespoons dried oregano)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- coconut oil to cook with
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a skillet and cook (on a medium-high heat) the apples, thyme, parsley, and oregano until the apples soften (7-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Food process the chicken breast (if you're not using ground chicken meat).
- Mix the chicken meat with everything in the skillet, as well as the garlic powder, salt and pepper (including any leftover oil).
- Form 12 thin patties (1/2 inch thick) from the meat and place on a baking tray lined with foil (so you don't need to wash the baking tray).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check with a meat thermometer that the internal temperature of a patty near the middle of the tray is 170F.
- Cool and store in fridge or freezer (reheat easily in the mornings in the skillet or in the microwave).
- If you want the sausages to be browned, then just pan-fry for a few minutes in coconut oil. You can also pan-fry the raw sausages instead of putting them into the oven.
Recipe by PaleOMG - Paleo Recipes at http://paleomg.com/guest-post-chicken-and-apple-sausage/