Posted by http://paleomg.com/mexican-pumpkin-soup/
© 2017 PaleOMG - Paleo Recipes. All rights reserved.
- 2 (2-3lbs) sugar pumpkins (also called pie pumpkins) - 6 cups roasted pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee
- 32 ounces beef or chicken bone broth
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cilantro, for garnish
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut the sugar pumpkins in half, remove the stem and spoon out the seeds. Brush the inside and outside with ghee and sprinkle with salt. Place the hollow side down on the baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes, until the skin is browned and the pumpkin is fork tender.
- While the pumpkins roast, place a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add chorizo and break into small pieces until browned and no pink remains. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chorizo and set aside, then add onions and peppers, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until peppers are browned and onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside with the chorizo.
- When the pumpkin is done roasting, scoop the pumpkin away from the skin and add it to the dutch oven. Then add the bone broth along with lime and all the spices then use an immersion blender to blend the pumpkin until completely smooth. Taste to see if it needs any salt then let the soup come to a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chorizo and peppers back to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes to heat the chorizo through.
- Top soup with cilantro and green onions before serving!