I talked about doing this beauty post for what seems like forever ago but it’s really only been 2 weeks. But I finally figured out all the products I’ve wanted to talk to you about and everything I’m obsessed with right now. Whenever I put a beauty post together, I always feel like I need to talk about the past and my previous skin issues, so I’ll just do a quick recap then link the other posts so you can read more about my experiences and treatments with acne and the scarring it has left behind!
Ok, here’s the quick recap: I dealt with acne for years but then it got extremely bad when I was competing in CrossFit. To the point that it was painful to even put a shirt on if the shirt grazed my face. I had tried all different topical treatments and exhausted other options, so I finally decided it was time to go on Accutane. Everyone has a different experience and I’ve heard a lot of negativity around Accutane, but I had a generally good experience with it. After Accutane, I had clear skin for about a year then some acne came back so I eliminated all nuts and I rarely eat eggs because that flares my skin up. I also got on spironolactone and that has helped me keep my skin clear along with Vivant Skincare Products (which I seriously swear by now and recommend to everyone), and I drink A SH*T TON of water daily (over a gallon a day).
I’ve been seeing an esthetician for over a year now to help with the scarring which continues to get worse as time goes on because of the collagen that decreases over time in my skin. I see her once a month and she uses different lasers on me which has helped tremendously with fine lines and dark spots. The deeper the scars are, the more challenging they are to improve, and I work on those with the help of profractional lasers. Which suck bad, but are totally worth it. Read up on these posts if you have questions about Accutane, laser treatments and my skincare regimen:
- Conquering My Acne (all about Accutane and the pros and cons I experienced)
- My Skincare Routine (Acne, Lasers, Dermaplane and More!)
Now back to square one. A lot of products I’ve found through my esthetician but I’ve also been in contact with some companies or have just run into some products along the way. Let’s do this!
- Andalou Brighten & Tighten Mask – I don’t use many masks, but this one is true magic. It really does brighten and tighten your skin and gives it a glow afterwards, even when you put makeup on. I like to use these when I’m traveling and feel a bit haggard. Thank you Diane for introducing me to this!
- Microneedle Derma Roller – I got mine at my esthetician’s office and started at a .25mm but I think I may need a stronger size such as .5mm or 1.0mm moving forward. I use this every night along with the next product below to help rebuild the collagen in my skin. I can’t say I see a huge difference, but I’ve only been using it for a month. And I really do see skincare as longterm progress just like working out. You’re not going to see your hard work in a day, you have to work at it.
- Venus Skincare SCR – I bought this stem cell recovery serum after I had my last Venus Viva treatment and it really helps with recovery of the skin. But I now use it almost nightly when I use my derma roller. Or I’ll use the SCT 1 and 2 creams with the roller!
- Venus Skincare Eye Perfect – This eye cream is AMAZING! Under my eyes used to get pretty dry and makeup would clump in the little wrinkles, but this eye cream really helps with that and smoothes everything out! I wear it any time I’m wearing makeup!
- Revision Skincare Intellishade – This tinted moisturizer is truly the best I’ve ever used. It is spf 45 with broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection, matches your skin color, and moisturizes while diminishing fine lines. I use the normal intellishade, but they also have a matte formula that’s much better for humid environments. Since it’s so dry here in Colorado, the normal intellishade is way more hydrating. I use a little bit of Jane Iredale loose mineral powder on top to take out some of the shine. But in any of my outfit photos when I’m in full makeup, I’m wearing the intellishade and it gives the best coverage! You can also see how I do my make in this post – Beauty Vlog: How I Do My Makeup!
- LipSmart – Almost every single chapstick and lip balm I’ve tried since going on Accutane has truly made my lips worse. Even the all natural products out there that use olive oil or coconut oil. Everything makes my lips chapped and makes them peel even worse than before. Thankfully, when I was at my esthetician once, she had a package that said LipSmart on it and I asked her about it. It’s definitely pricey for a chapstick, but if you live in a dry climate or are taking/taken prescriptions that dry your skin/lips out, this stuff is going to change your life. It’s truly the best product that I’ve come across for lips. It not only moisturizes them, but it smoothes them out so they look like wrinkly and aged! Now I don’t have to constantly put chapstick on because it hydrates them for HOURS. It’s pure magic!
- Supergoop! Setting Mist SPF 50 – I had the opportunity to meet with some of the team behind Supergoop! when I was at the rewardStyle conference and was instantly super excited about this line. But the makeup setting spray is totally the best because it has SPF 50 in it and you can pack it in your purse and respray as you go. Instead of having to glob on sunscreen over your makeup as it wears off throughout the day, you can just spray this setting mist on top and go! So easy! And it smells great, too!
- St. Tropez Self Tan Express Mousse – This is definitely my favorite self tanner BY FAR. I go to see Lindsay at Glamour Bar here in Denver to get my spray tans whenever I’m traveling, but she recommended this product for in between and it’s truly the best! I highly recommend getting the applicator mitt because if you don’t, your hands are screwed (especially if you have calluses like me). This stuff looks so natural and you can decide if you want light, medium or dark tan. For light, you keep it on for an hour, 2 for medium and 3 for dark then you wash it off and it continues to build for the next 8 hours or so. It’s awesome!
- Primally Pure Natural Deodorant – Stop what you’re doing and start using natural deodorant. I talk about why in this post here. I put off using a natural deodorant for so long because I’m so sweaty and couldn’t imagine not using a antiperspirant. But antiperspirants are really f*cking bad for you. I’m so happy that I changed over and this deodorant has changed my life! I rarely smell or have to reapply in the day unless I have an extra nervous or coffee-fueled day. Yes, you do still sweat but you’re not putting toxins into your body!!! And I’ve noticed my sweating isn’t nearly as bad as it used to be when I used antiperspirant.
- Tula Illuminating Serum – Tula recently sent me an amazing box of goodies to try out and even though it’s only been less than a week of trying their products out, I’m absolutely obsessed with this illuminating serum. It seriously makes your skin glow! I’m testing out more of their products right now so I’ll let you know in the future what I think of their line. But this illuminating serum is amazing!
- Desert Essense Natural Whitening Toothpaste – I get lots of questions online asking how I get my teeth so white. Let’s get one thing clear – I whiten them in my professional photos. But I do also use Crest white strips from time to time if they are looking yellow. And I have gotten them professionally whitened once. I honestly think Crest white strips works better than professional. But what has kept my teeth staying white after whitening them over a year ago is this toothpaste AND going to the dentist every 6 months for a cleaning. A cleaning really does make a world of difference (go to the dentist!!!). This toothpaste is not only better for you and all natural, but it actually whitens! Thank you Lexi for introducing me to this!
- Unite Creamy Paste – What a gross name. I have fine hair that lays flat to my head unless I put product in it. And I love my regular lifting foam for volume, but it’s not very travel friendly. So this paste has been super helpful when I’m traveling and it doesn’t leave behind any sort of film.
- Touch N Brow Facial Razor – I’m not totally sold on these razors, but I also haven’t found one I like more yet. So feel free to leave your suggestions below! Every month when I go to the esthetician, she dermaplanes my face meaning she shaves it with pretty much a scalpel. But the hair definitely grows back in the month that I don’t see her, so I use this razor in between to keep the skin smooth and hair-free!
Ok, that’s all of it! I also share all my other favorite products in a previous post and you can see my experience with microblading in other posts that I’ll link below!
- My Experience with Microblading (aka permanent makeup)
- My Skincare Routine (Acne, Lasers, Dermaplane and More!)
- Beauty Treatments I’m Loving Lately
And if you live in Denver, I highly recommend these women that have made a world of difference with my skin and helping me feel my best!
- My esthetician in Denver – Shawn Haviland (Cherry Hills Facial Aesthetics 720-459-7960)
- My eyebrow specialist in Denver – Lea Curry (Oxford Spa 303-628-5435)
- Lindsay at Glamour Bar for spray tans (seriously the cutest salon you’ll ever step foot in)
- Best botox specialist in Denver – Tricia Stephenson (Rewind in Cherry Creek 303-601-6533)
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for the support!