Spring has sprung. You know how I know this? A couple ways.
Way 1: I spent all Sunday in the greatest park in Denver. Not only was it pretty gorgeous outside with some pink and purple trees blooming, but the park was fluttering with gorgeous weeners. The man and the dog versions. Sad truth of it all is, I’d rather talk to the dog versions more. They will love me no matter what. The man version just likes beer and falling over himself while throwing the frisbee. Shame.
Way 2: The CrossFit Games Open is over!!! Weeeeee! Ok, that sounded negative. I’m not negative about it, I’m just glad I don’t have to do one wod a week that makes me crap my pants every time I think about it. That’s not an exaggeration. Pretty much, no matter what wod I do I’m nervous, but these wods took it to the extreme for me. And I can only change my pants so many times in a day.
Way 3: The sun stays in the sky until almost 8pm. It’s pretty awesome. The days are way more enjoyable. And since the sun has been extra hot, I’m sure we are in for a sh*tty ass snow storm soon. I really should move somewhere where there is no snow. I seriously hate the snow. It’s gross.
Way 4: I’m contemplating wearing shorts again. All I used to do is wear shorts. But it got a bit too cold and I had a handful of too many people staring at me in the grocery store while I shook my ass down the isles in spandex shorts. So I’ve been wearing spandex pants all winter. But summer is here. And no one likes a sweaty crotch. So I’m trying to figure out how the hell I’m going to get my huge ass into shorts this summer. My lulu speed shorts just do not work for my ass size, so I have to go a different route. But what route should that be? Got any ideas for me?
Way 5: I’m craving ice cream. Like a lot. I ate Laura’s pint of coconut milk mint chocolate chip ice cream the other night. I think she’s ok with me consuming all of it because that means she won’t eat it and feel sick. I feel sick and gain weight. Stupid. When I wanted coconut milk ice cream before, I used to just go a couple blocks down the street to my favorite ice cream and salad joint…but then the worst thing ever, and I mean EVER happened…it shut down. And I no longer can get homemade coconut milk ice cream made me for me with liquid nitrogen. Where the hell else is that going to happen?
I hate spring. Ok, that was a lie. A lot of attractive men take their shirts off in the spring. Especially at CrossFit gyms around the world. Regionals is going to be wonderful. Fact.
This recipe is pretty close to my Tomato Cream Pasta but with more spring herb flare. You should just try both. They are both daaaamn delish.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 chicken sausages, diced
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bundle of spinach, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon choice of fat (I used bacon fat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise, and remove the seeds and excess threads.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- While your spaghetti squash is baking, pull out a large skillet and place under medium heat.
- Place a tablespoon of fat in your hot skillet then toss in your minced garlic.
- Once your garlic has become fragrant, add your diced onion.
- When you onion has become translucent, add your vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Then add your seasonings, salt and pepper, and diced chicken sausage and spinach. Cover and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once your chicken sausage is cooked through, use your fork to to de-thread your spaghetti squash and add your threads directly to your chicken sausage mixture.
- Use tongs to combine.