Stop what you’re doing and go make this recipe. Because it’s delicious. Divine and delicious. And if you’re wondering where to get white sweet potatoes or whatever the hell they are called, I have no clue. I get them at Whole Foods or Sprouts but you most likely don’t live in the same neighborhood as me. So ask the produce guy at your store because I can’t tell you where to find them.
I just always get that question so I thought I’d throw it out there in a slightly passive aggressive way.
Ew. I’m the worst right now, aren’t I?
I digress. I set off the smoke alarm for a good ten minutes today so I’m in a bit of a mood. My oven needs some major cleaning after all the chicken thighs I’ve been making in it. But it doesn’t have a self cleaning button. I know I’m annoying for complaining about having to clean it myself but remember I usually cook 2-3 times per day on most days. That’s A LOT of coats on the ole oven…especially since it’s a double oven. Double your pleasure, double your hatred for cleaning.
Why are we even talking about cleaning? Let’s talk about the fact that I’m going to Vegas for 20 hours this weekend. I’ve mentioned this to a couple friends and they’ve all said, “What’s the point?”. Well, ya dumb friends, the point is that I am going with two of my close friends, going straight to my favorite Thai restaurant (Lotus of Siam) then straight out to the club to party all night long (seeing an awesome DJ) then out to brunch before we take a flight home. What else is there to do other than an get an even worse hangover that will take days to recover from by staying an extra night. Pointless, if you ask me. So we’re doing the one nighter! Because we have no kids, no excuses, and nothing holding us back. It’s going to be AWESOME! I bought a dress that I absolutely cannot wait to wear and now I just need to figure out a pair of heels that I don’t hate my life in. Not possible, but I’ll figure it out. Luckily, the club we are going to is in the same hotel we are staying in…NO CAB LINES YAYYYYYYY!
This is just your friendly reminder from PaleOMG to say yes more often. Whenever you can, say yes and do some fun ass sh*t. Even if it’s just making this new recipe. Say yes, my friend, say yes.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 - 1½ pound hanger steak, pounded slightly thinner to tenderize
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork then coat all in about 2 tablespoons of ghee and sprinkle with a bit of salt on top. Place on a baking sheet and in the oven for 45-50 minutes minutes until soft and tender.
- When sweet potatoes have about 20 minutes to go, place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee then add sliced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes then add all the bell peppers. Let these onions and peppers cook down for about 15 minutes, tossing every couple minutes, until they are somewhat browned and soft. Remove and set aside. Keep cast iron skillet over medium heat and add more ghee, if needed (just to coat the bottom of the skillet).
- Pound meat with a meat tenderizer until about ¼ inch thin. In a small box, mix together all the spices. Pour spice mixture over both sides of meat and press into the meat. Place meat on the hot cast iron skillet and cook on both sides for about 3-4 minutes, until browned by medium rare-medium in the middle. Remove and set on cutting board. Let meat rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Place the peppers and onions back in the warm skillet and toss, scraping the bottom of the pan. Place thinly sliced meat in the pan with the peppers and onion then squeeze ½ lime on top to coat meat and veggies.
- Cut sweet potatoes open and use a fork to smash the sweet potatoes. Then place the fajita mixture on top along with some freshly chopped cilantro and a little extra lime juice!
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!