This recipe is brought to you by the amazing Sergio. He’s still kicking it in Afghanistan. I’m still missing him. A lot. But we get to chat weekly, and now that I have a new computer, we can Facetime. I don’t know what that is, but I think it sounds cool. So once I figure out what the hell Facetime does, we still email lots. And this recipe idea came via email. Here’s what Serge said, “I was reading a study about how if you eat beets an hour before a workout it will help dilate your blood vessels which in turn increases the amount of oxygen delivered to your muscles. Soooo, if you could make a pre workout smoothie, something that contains protein, fat, and beets then BAM.” So that’s what I did, for my Sergio.
And it’s always funny when your pee turns pink from the beets. That’s way cooler than a better workout.
I need to tell you a story. It starts on Saturday October 27th. I’ll help you visualize. It was morning time, I still had my pajamas on, and I was getting ready to go to my friend Clark’s gym, CrossFit South Denver, for his Bears for Kids Charity Competition. But before Laura and I went to the competition, we wanted to get an almond milk chai from one of our favorite restaurants, Devil’s Food. So, we headed out the door to get in my car, but guess what?! It wasn’t there. Nope, she gone. Someone straight up stole my car. It was locked, had nothing of value in it, and I kept my insurance and registration with me since I kind of expected this to happen. So I guess that’s a good thing. But it turns out, it’s kind of hard to get around without a car. Like getting to Whole Foods. I feel like such an annoying mooch when I have to ask friends for rides. It blows.
But the story doesn’t end there. Oh no it does not. So get this. On Sunday October 28th, my good friends, wait my really good looking friends Jake and Krystle were out walking their obnoxious yet adorable bulldog and noticed a car very similar to mine. So when they stopped by so Jake could insult me with comments of how dirty our house is (which is true), they mentioned we should just go check it out since it was only 3 blocks from my house. Welp, you can guess where this is going. It was my car . My little civic that I’ve had since I was 16 was sitting 3 blocks from my house. The ignition is torn apart and the locks don’t work, but she’s still alive. Just wreaks like weed. Guess they found my stash. I’m kidding. Weed smells like skunk. Hopefully they can fix it! Keep your fingers crossed!!
No joke, I’ve watched Twilight 4 times in the last week. #sorryfornotbeingsorrythattwilightisthebestthinginmyliferightnow.
- 1 large beet, peeled and diced (equivalent to 1 cup diced beets)
- 1 banana, peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen berries (I used strawberries and raspberries)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 scoop egg protein (or protein powder of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- First you gotta roast your beets. Try biting into one of those raw. No fun. So preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and peel your beets and dice them up.
- Arrange pieces on a baking sheet then drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on top.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until they are tender.
- Let cool.
- Once your beets are cooled, add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until smooth. Add more coconut milk or water if needed.
- Drink up!