Sometimes it’s important to admit some stuff to your closest friends. Which means sometimes I need to admit things to you, whether or not you think we are friends. It’s just how it has to be. Here goes nothing…I watched 5 episodes of Jersey Shore yesterday. I admit it. I couldn’t stop. I did cook two new recipes for you guys while I watched so I wasn’t a completely waste of space in this world. But MAN, I miss that show. I remember watching it in college and couldn’t wait for the newest episode come out because it was the best drama known to man. So when I found all day reruns on MTV, I couldn’t stop myself. Especially since it got me away from the Food Network and eating for no apparent reason other than every episode making me crave food. Damn that channel! It’s so addicting!
PS – MTV makes me feel so old.
I’m getting excited. I finally get to take a vacation with my husband!! We are heading to one of our favorite places next week – Lake Powell. The first trip I ever went on with my husband long before he was my husband, was Lake Powell. Our first trip there together was one of the places I fell in love with him even more. Then the second trip there with him SUCKED ASS because it was a definite rough spot in our relationship, plus it rained the whole time we were there and my clothes literally never dried. Then the last time we were there, it was the best trip ever! We surfed the whole time, made fancy meals and cocktails every night and soaked up every minute in the sun on a houseboat.
But this year will be different than any year before because we are staying in a hotel this time instead of a houseboat! We are first staying in the Bullfrog Marina then boating our way to Page and staying there a few nights, too! I’ve never stayed in a hotel while in Lake Powell so that will be weird, but I’m slightly excited for real showers and real bathrooms, instead of a floating porta potty. As much as I love telling everyone on the boat that I need to go to the bathroom, privacy will be quite welcomed. We are planning to take a ton of snacks with us to eat during the day so we can spend every second surfing and tanning and loving Lake Powell. Eeeeeeek! I’m so excited!
So let’s talk about this recipe for a second because I’m absolutely IN LOVE! And when my mother in law was in town a week ago, she ate this and loved it. Which is a big deal. I don’t think she’s a huge fan of my food choices sometimes. Last time she was here, I fed her beets and quinoa that I picked up from Whole Foods and she was 100% not a fan. Luckily, those beets and quinoa weren’t my actual recipes so I couldn’t be too mad. But when she tried this, she loved it. And I don’t think she care one bit that it was made with healthy ingredients!
So go try this! And let me know what you think! Hopefully you’re just like my mother in law when it comes to this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasonings
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 jar green chile salsa
- 3 eggs
- 1 package cassava tortillas or almond flour tortillas
For the garnishes
- 1 cup plantain chips, crushed
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 fresno pepper, sliced
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- green onions, roughly chopped
For the coconut sour cream
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut cream
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons ghee. Once warm, add the onion and peppers and sauté until peppers are browned and onions are translucent. Then add jalapeño, garlic and a bit of salt and cook for 2 more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and break into small pieces. Cook until no pink remains and then add taco seasonings and salt, to taste. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. To that same bowl, add the salsa, green chile salsa, and eggs and stir until completely combined.
- Now build your lasagna casserole: add a large spoonful of the taco/salsa mixture to the bottom of the greased dish, then put a tortilla on top. Then repeat that: meat/salsa mixture - tortilla, until no tortilla remain. Pour the remaining mixture on top.
- Place in oven to bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the middle is no longer jiggly.* Let casserole rest for 15 minutes to set before slicing.
- While casserole is baking, mix together all the ingredients for the coconut sour cream.
- Top casserole with garnishes before slicing and serving!
*I placed a baking sheet in the bottom of my oven in case the casserole bubbled over while baking. It never did bubble over, but better safe than sorry.
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!