Since I was on vacation last week, I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to chat about staying in tune with your goals, even while on vacation and enjoying your life. Vacations were created to help you replenish, rejuvenate and come back home feeling better than when you left. But with so many indulgences available on vacations now, it’s easy to lose sight of your longterm goals and feel like you’ve created a setback for yourself once you’ve returned home.
I use to feel this way when I was on vacation. I would come back home feeling depressed because everything I had accomplished beforehand felt completely lost. For me, I had to decide to see vacations differently. Instead of seeing it as a time to overindulge because of all the restrictions I put on my life before the vacation, I let myself enjoy my daily life so I could enjoy my vacation life even more. I stopped putting restrictions on myself and it really did make a huge difference.
So no matter when I go on vacation, I never come back feeling 100%. Even if my diet is still great and I workout, I still end up getting dehydrated just from flying alone. But there are still a few things I try to follow while on vacation in hopes of feeling good when I get home:
- I still workout. I think rest days are definitely important, which is why I take 2 rest days per week, but vacation time is just another week of the year. It’s an enjoyable week, but it still is a week. So I try to keep on the same workout and rest schedule that I do at home. The workouts may not be as intense, but it’s still a workout in the end!
- I enjoy some cocktails when I’m feeling like it, but I try to drink mostly water and soda water. The more cocktails I have, the worse I feel when I get back so I try not to indulge in too many. And the water not only helps me pee out the lovely poison I’m drinking, but also keeps me from feeling too bloated later on!
- I try not to overeat. Which doesn’t always happen, obviously. But if I stay away from gluten, alcohol and sugar, it’s much easier. But when I do overeat, I don’t put myself down because of it. Vacation is for enjoying the things that you don’t usually get to enjoy, which for me is overeating and overindulging in those extra delicious things!
- I stay active. Other than my normal workouts, I feel my best when I’m doing things that keep me moving and keep the endorphins going.
- When I get home, I get right back to business. I go grocery shopping, I make a meal that I know will help hit the reset button, I chug lots of water and I get to bed early. The quicker I can get back to my routine, the quicker I will feel back to myself.
I just got back yesterday from vacation and I’m not feeling totally like myself yet, but I enjoyed every moment of time in Phoenix and I cannot wait to have another fun vacation. Until then, I’ll be working hard in my day-to-day life, eating my best and working out regularly, so I can get to that next vacation and not feel guilty about any moment during it! So if you’re heading on vacation soon, don’t forget to enjoy every moment while respecting your goals and keeping those in mind throughout!
Sunday – Rest Day
Monday – see workout here
5 strict pull ups
~30ft handstand walk
40 bench switch jumps (total)
10 bupree pops
20 sit box jumps
10 alternating pistols with 3 pulses each time
Every 3 minutes for 12 minutes:
15/12 calories on bike
25 ab mat sit ups
13 min AMRAP Of:
35 Cal Row
35 Wall Ball
35 Power Cleans (135/95) – I used 55#
I got 1 round + 88 reps
Wednesday – Rest day
Buy in -30 Crossfit style burpees
Dumbbell Russian swings
Dumbbell reverse flies
Reverse lunge into one legged deadlift (right leg)
Banded glute (right leg)
Reverse lunge into one legged deadlift (left leg)
Banded glute (left leg)
Dumbbell push press
Buy out – 30 Crossfit style burpees *i used 20# dumbbells for the swings and push press and 10# dumbbells for the flies and lunges and a medium band (go fit brand)
Friday – Yoga at Hotel Valley Ho
5 Push ups to 5 pike push ups x 3
30 Weighted russian twists
15 Dumbbell thrusters
20 tuck jumps
Dumbbell row to fly on both sides to 5 sprawlers jumps x 5
Then after – 6×45 sec sprints with 30 sec rest between
Free Instagram Workout:
Free Travel Workout:
On Sale Activewear:
Nike Legendary Tights (40% off)
Nike Lunar Flyknit Shoes (20% off)
Zella Pullover Sweatshirt (33% off)
Zella Racer Tank (33% off)
Reebok TR 2.0 Shoes (25% off)
What I Ate in a Day on Vacation:
While staying at the Hotel Valley Ho in Arizona, I started my day off with half of a latte, 3 sausage, a few tomato slices, and some berries before heading to yoga.
For lunch, we ate at Flower Child and I had the madras curry and we all shared some side dishes that included their sweet potatoes, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. We also shared some Juby True juices!
In the afternoon, we were welcome to our room at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale with snacks which included nuts, dried apricots and some cured meats. I snacked on some of that and then they brought wine so I had a couple sips of wine.
Since our dinner reservation wasn’t until later, we had drinks at the bar beforehand. I drank an extra dirty vodka martini then lots of soda water afterwards. Whenever I drink, I try to drink a lot of water or soda water between drinks.
We had dinner at CRUjiente tacos where we enjoyed chips and guac/salsa, a watermelon appetizer, a shrimp appetizer, and tacos! It was all SO good that it was hard to stop, we definitely were overly stuffed after this meal, but totally worth it!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!