Posted by https://paleomg.com/bacon-scallop-stackers/
© 2016 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
1 hour 10 mins
- 1 pound bacon
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into about 3/4 - 1 inch slices (try to find sweet potatoes that are about the same width as the scallops)
- couple pinches of salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- ~21 sea scallops
- hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce), for garnish
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top the spray or grease with coconut oil. Line the bacon on the wire rack and place in oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, until bacon is crispy, but not burnt. Turn oven heat up to 400 degrees F.
- Remove bacon from rack, cut each slice into thirds, set aside, and place in the microwave to keep warm while you cook the rest of the ingredients. With the rendered bacon fat in the baking sheet, use a brush to wipe each side of the sweet potatoes with a little bit of the bacon fat then place on the wire rack. Sprinkle a little bit of salt on top of each sweet potato round. Place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping the sweet potatoes half way through to cook evenly on both sides.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add two tablespoons ghee to the pan to melt. Pat scallops completely dry then sprinkle each one with a bit of salt. Once skillet is very hot, place scallops in the pan (making sure not to crowd the pan - you will have to do this in 2-3 batches) to cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown on each side. Repeat until all scallops are cooked.
- Once everything is done cooking, create the stackers: grab a sweet potato round, put a small dot of hot sauce on it, place 2 small pieces of bacon on top (2 thirds from when you cut the pieces up earlier), then the scallop, along with another dot of hot sauce then place a wooden toothpick through it. Repeat with all until all ingredients are used up. Lastly sprinkle black pepper and green onions on top of all the stackers then serve up!*
*If you are not serving immediately, store in fridge then preheat oven to 400 degrees F to cook for about 10-15 minutes, until all is heated through!