Posted by https://paleomg.com/baked-jerk-chicken-with-coconut-rice-cinnamon-sweet-plantains/
© 2016 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Baked Jerk Chicken with Coconut Rice & Cinnamon Sweet Plantains
For the Marinade
- 1/4 white onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeños (remove seeds for less spice)
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- couple pinches of salt
For side dish
For the Cinnamon Sweet Plantains
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or ghee
- 3 ripe (brown) plantains, peeled and sliced at an angle into 1 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- healthy pinch of salt
- green onions, sliced
- lime wedges
- Place all ingredients for the marinade in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour marinade into a bowl, add chicken and coat then place in the fridge for 24+ hours.
- Before cooking the chicken, make the guacamole and set in the fridge to cool. Then make coconut rice and keep under low heat to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add chicken to a cast iron skillet and pour the marinade on top. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees or until juices run clear. Let rest for a couple minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken cooks, place coconut oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. You need enough fat to cover the plantains about halfway. Once the oil is hot (water sizzles on top when added), sprinkle the plantains with cinnamon and a bit of salt and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown on both side. You may need to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Serve dish of coconut rice, sliced chicken, plantains, guacamole and garnish with lime and green onions.