Posted by https://paleomg.com/biscuits-gravy-casserole/
© 2018 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Biscuits & Gravy Casserole
1 hour 10 minutes
For the sausage gravy
For the biscuits
- 1 cup canned coconut milk*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed (you can also use ghee or coconut oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a large baking dish (around 9x13).
- Place 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup, mix together to combined and set aside.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the breakfast sausage. Break up sausage into small pieces and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- To the pan with the remaining fat (you will need 3-4 tablespoons of fat, so if you do not have enough, add some at this point) add in sage, rosemary and fennel and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Then whisk in tapioca flour, slowly adding it as you whisk. Once completely added, add the almond flour and whisk to combined. Then slowly pour in the cashew milk while continually whisking. Once combined, add the sausage back in along with red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper and lower the heat to let mixture reduce for about 5 minutes at a low heat. Taste to see if it needs any more salt and pepper and add if needed (this will range depending on the amount in the breakfast sausage). Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
- Whisk together cassava flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add cold butter (or ghee or coconut oil) and use a fork to break up the butter into the flour mixture. Once combined, pour in the coconut milk and use the fork to mix the ingredients together without overworking the ingredients. Fold in thyme leaves.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter and place on top of the sausage gravy throughout the baking dish.
- Place in oven to bake for 30-35 minutes until biscuits have slightly browned.
- Let casserole rest for at least 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
* I blend my canned coconut milk first to combine the water and cream before measuring