Posted by https://paleomg.com/kale-candied-bacon-roasted-beet-salad/
© 2016 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Kale, Candied Bacon & Roasted Beet Salad
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 tablespoons maple or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 9 beets (3 red, 3 golden, 3 chioggia), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt (I used Hepp's Roasted Garlic Salt)
- 1 bundle kale, ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced (the thinner sliced, the better)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2-4 ounces herb goat cheese (optional)
For the dressing
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top and spray or grease with coconut oil. Place maple/coconut sugar and cinnamon in a dish and mix. Place strips of bacon in the sugar and completely coat then place on the cooling rack. Put in oven to bake for 20-25 minutes, until crispy. Keep an eye on it since oven temperatures can range. Once crispy, remove from oven and set aside.
- Turn oven temperature up to 400 degrees and line another baking sheet with foil. Brush each beet slice on both sides with melted ghee, place on baking sheet then sprinkle with garlic salt. Place in oven to bake for 15 minutes, flip to other side then bake for 15 more minutes.
- When the beets are almost done cooking, place thinly sliced kale in a large bowl. Place all ingredients for the dress in a jar and shake until completely combine. Pour dressing over kale and massage with your hands to completely coat the kale and help break it down.
- Chop bacon and top the salad with beets, bacon, almonds, and goat cheese!