Posted by https://paleomg.com/paleo-meaty-rice-stuffed-pumpkins/
© 2012 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Paleo Meaty Rice Stuffed Pumpkins
- 3 small pumpkin pie pumpkins
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 bundle of spinach, stems removed
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence *
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fat (I used olive oil)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the tops off your pumpkin. Remove the seeds. Put the seeds in the bowl to save for later!!
- Pull out a large baking dish. You may need 2. Pour in about ½-1 inch of water in the baking dish then set the pumpkin in the dish, cut-side down in the water.
- Bake pumpkins for 15-20 minutes or until they are soft when you poke them, but not falling apart.
- While the pumpkins are cooking, pull out your handy dandy food processor with the shredding attachment.
- Shred your chopped cauliflower in the food processor.
- Now heat a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add your choice of fat then add your garlic.
- Once your garlic becomes fragrant, add your chopped onions.
- When your onions become translucent, add your ground beef, cauliflower, and broth.
- Let cook for about 3-5 minutes until beef is almost cooked through and broth has cooked off a bit, then add your spices. Mix to combine.
- Now add your spinach, cover and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- While the spinach is cooking down, pull your pumpkins out of the oven. Remove pumpkins from water and pour water out into the sink. Be careful please. This water is boiling. Don't be stupid. Place pumpkins back into your baking dish upright.
- When your spinach has cooked down, remove from heat and add your whisked egg. Mix together.
- Once your pumpkin has cooled just a bit, use a large spoon or ladle to spoon your cauliflower/beef/spinach mixture into your pumpkins. Fill pumpkins as needed.
- Put pumpkins back into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the top of the pumpkins are slightly browned.
- Remove and let cool just a bit. Then consume!
* see http://homecooking.about.com/od/allherbrecipes/r/blherb9.htm