Posted by https://paleomg.com/simple-sausage-and-bacon-butternut-squash-soup/
© 2014 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Simple Sausage and Bacon Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half (about 4 cups pureed)
- 1/2-1 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to preference
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons fat of choice (coconut oil, ghee, butter)
- 1 pound sugar free sausage of choice (I used a turkey andouille sausage), sliced
- fresh or dried parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until you can press on the flesh of the butternut squash and it gives.
- Let cool for 10 minutes until you can handle the butternut squash
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Place strips of bacon on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, until crispy. Remove from oven, place on paper towel, then chop into small pieces.
- While bacon is cooking, place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add fat then add sausage slices and cook on both sides until cooked through.
- Lastly, scoop out softened butternut squash from the skin and seeds. Place the squash in a blendtec or blender along with chicken stock, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Using the soup function on your blendetc, puree soup until smooth. Be sure to taste the soup once pureed to see if it needs more salt or even more chicken stock, if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Serve soup with bacon, sausage and parsley on top!