Posted by https://paleomg.com/slow-cooker-pot-roast-with-easy-gravy/
© 2015 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Easy Gravy
8 hours 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 pound chuck roast, tied around the outside with twine
- himalayan sea salt, to taste
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme + extra sprigs
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 batch of Cauliflower Puree on page 202 in Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add ghee. Sprinkle salt on chuck roast then sear on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place in slow cooker and put sliced carrots, parsnips and onion around the roast. Top the roast with garlic cloves, a bit more salt, thyme and thyme sprigs and black pepper. Put the bay leaves in the pot then pour in the beef broth and red wine. Cover and let cook for 8 hours on low.
- Once roast is done cooking, remove roast and place in a baking dish then use a slotted spoon to remove all the veggies and set in the baking dish with roast. Cover with foil to keep warm while you finish the dish.
- If you are making cauliflower puree, make it now.
- For the gravy: Dispose of bay leaves and thyme sprigs from slow cooker then use an immersion blender to puree broth in the bottom of the slow cooker. Once pureed, pour mixture into a large sauté pan and place it over medium heat. Add honey and whisk. Then while continuously mixing, add arrowroot or tapioca flour to the mixture, one teaspoon at a time. Be sure to continuously whisk because it can clump up. Once all flour is combined and gravy has thickened, pour mixture through a mesh strainer to get rid of any clumps.
- To serve pot roast: place cauliflower puree in a bowl along with veggies, pot roast that has been pulled apart with fork, and gravy on top!