Posted by https://paleomg.com/spicy-kale-blood-orange-salad/
© 2017 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Spicy Kale & Blood Orange Salad
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1 bundle of kale (whichever kale you prefer more - I used curly kale for this recipe), cut back from stem and thinly sliced**
- 2 blood oranges, segmented*
For the jalapeño dressing
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, roughly chopped (use 2 jalapeños for more spice - I used 2)
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet and into the oven to roast for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant.
- Thinly slice the sweet peppers, red onion, jalapeños, and kale then place into a large salad serving bowl. Then segment the blood oranges and toss in with the salad. Add the toasted sliced almonds, as well.
- In a small blender, blend together all ingredients for the jalapeño dressing until smooth and completely combine.
- Pour dressing (whatever amount you prefer, but this amount of salad can really take all of it) onto greens and toss until full combine. I like to let kale salads sit for 5-10 minutes to help break down the kale and help it become less tough. This really is a salad you can let sit in the fridge for a few hours because kale holds up so well!
*here's the best way to segment an orange
**to thinly slice the kale, pull all the leaves together and wrap it like you're wrapping up a burrito. then use a sharp knife to cup the kale into little threads