Posted by https://paleomg.com/strawberry-tomatillo-chicken-fajita-salad/
© 2016 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Strawberry Tomatillo Chicken Fajita Salad
For the dressing
- 2 heads of garlic, roasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt and pink pepper (you can use black pepper instead of pink)
For the tequila lime cilantro chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoke paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 ounce silver agave tequila
For the salad
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 head of romaine, chopped
- green onions, chopped
For the strawberry tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced tomatillos
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the ends off garlic, add a bit of olive oil to the open ends and wrap 2 heads of garlic in foil. Place in oven to bake for 40-45 minutes, until browned. See full explanation of how to roast garlic here. Once cooked through, squeeze the bottom to push out the clover from the paper. Repeat with all the cloves and place in a blender along with the rest of the ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth. Remove and place in the fridge for later.
- Place chicken in a dish. Whisk all ingredients for the marinade together then pour over the chicken. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 3+ hours. The longer, the better. Heat up grill or grill pan and grease. Once very hot, pull chicken out of marinade and place on grill or grill pan to cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no pink remains. Set aside to rest and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To the hot pan, add peppers and onion along with a bit of salt and cook until peppers are soft and onions are translucent.
- To a bowl, add all ingredient for the strawberry tomatillo salsa and toss until completely combine.
- To build salad: toss chopped romaine in a bowl with a bit of the dressing. To the salad greens, add chicken, peppers and onions, strawberry tomatillo salsa, sliced avocado and green onions on top.