Posted by https://paleomg.com/sweet-potato-enchiladas/
© 2012 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
For the enchiladas
- 3 sweet potatoes, sliced thin lengthwise with a mandoline
- 1lb grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil
For the sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now to make our "tortillas" from our sweet potatoes. Use a mandoline to thinly slice your sweet potatoes lengthwise. (You can use a knife but I found I couldn't get the thinness I wanted or consistency with each slice with using a knife)
- Heat up a large skillet or griddle and place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it. When skillet is very hot and coconut oil has melted, add your sweet potatoes. Cook your sliced sweet potatoes for 3-5 minutes per side or until sweet potatoes are soft. You DO NOT want them crispy. (You may have to do this a couple of batches so keep coconut oil on hand.) Do as many batches as you need to and place sweet potato slices on a paper towel to remove excess oil and cool while you cook your meat.
- Once your sweet potatoes are cooling, use the same skillet to cook your meat. Add in a bit of oil then add your minced garlic cloves along with your onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add in your ground beef along with your green chiles and spices. Let that cook down until cook completely through, using a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef and incorporate all the flavors.
- While the meat cooks, place a saucepan over medium heat for your sauce. Add your tablespoon of oil along with your minced onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add your tomato sauce and vegetable broth, as well as all your seasonings. Let that cook down until it thickens just a bit.
- Now once everything is done cooking, it's time to use your fingers!
- Pull out an 8x8 or 9x9 glass baking dish, add a spoonful of enchilada sauce on the bottom and start building your enchiladas.
- Each enchilada should take 3 slices of a sweet potato. Place a slice down in the dish, then another half way on top, then another half on top of the second slice. It should be a feathering or fan effect. Now place a spoonful or two of your meat mixture in the center of your sweet potatoes, then wrap your sweet potatoes over the meat, tucking the ends underneath the other ends of the sweet potatoes (like a tortilla).-see first picture for an example
- Repeat until all your sweet potatoes are gone. If you are have leftover meat, place that around your enchiladas.
- Pour your enchilada sauce on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool then eat your heart out!