Posted by https://paleomg.com/sweet-steak-salad-with-honey-mustard-dressing/
© 2011 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Sweet Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
For marinating the steak
- 2lb london broil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- gallon sized Ziploc bag
For the salad
- 1 bundle of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 bundle of spinach, chopped
- 1 cup pearl onions, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, then peeled
- 1 package of fresh blackberries
- 1.5 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 5-6 strips bacon, diced (uncured, nitrate free)
- 10-15 dates, pitted and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Dressing
Time to marinate that steak. Don't be lazy. Marinate the crap out of it. You won't be disappointed. The longer the better. I only marinated it for about 8 hours or so, but longer would have been even more awesome.
- Add all of your 'marinating the steak' ingredients to a gallon sized and shake it around. Give it some loving here. Work it.
- Now throw the bag in the fridge to marinate for a while.
- Once the london broil has marinated for AT LEAST 2-3 hours, pull it out of the fridge to let sit on the counter and come to room temperature. While it comes to room temperature, heat up your grill.
- Make your grill SUPER hot so you can sear both sides of your london broil for 1-2 minutes/side. Once it is does searing, turn down the heat to medium and cook for about 5-6 minutes/side.
- While the london broil is cooking (don't forget to flip it after 5-6 minutes), begin cooking up the ingredients for your salad. Add your chopped bacon to a large skillet, once it has oozed a bit of fat to the pan, add your sliced red onions and let them cook down until translucent.
- Once your red onions become translucent, add your pearl onions to the mix to cook down for about 3-4 minutes, then add your dates and walnuts. Cook all the ingredients together, adding just a bit of salt and pepper at the end.
- Your steak should be done cooking at this point. Don't forget about it and ruin the entire meal. Kidding. But once it is done cooking, put it on a plate and let it sit for around 30 minutes so the juices don't come spilling out.
- While the steak sits and ponders life, make your salad dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients to your food processor and mix well to combine. This dressing a bit thicker than usual dressing, so if you're not a fan of that, add a bit more oil and vinegar to make it runny.
- Once your dressing is made, thinly slice your london broil to desired thickness.
- Throw your chopped greens into a large bowl, top with your date/onion/bacon/walnut mixture along with blackberries, steak, and salad dressing.
- Consume with a smile on your face while all the flavors make a happy play land in your mouth.