Posted by https://paleomg.com/valentines-day-seared-scallops-dinner-for-two/
© 2017 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Valentine's Day Seared Scallops Dinner for Two
For the marinated tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper (I used pink peppercorns)
For the chipotle cream sauce
For the cauliflower puree
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (I use defrosted frozen cauliflower because it steams faster)
- hefty pinch of salt, to taste
- pinch of black pepper, to taste
For the scallops
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 6-8 sea scallops
- salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients for the marinated tomatoes in a bowl and toss to coat completely. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate.
- Place ingredients for the chipotle cream sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a large sauté pan over medium heat and let come to a low boil and reduce by at least ⅓. The sauce will thicken and darken a bit and this should take about 10-15 minutes. Once reduced, taste to see if you like it sweeter or if it needs more salt. Remember that the scallops are sweet so you don't want the sauce to be too sweet.
- While the sauce is cooking, steam the cauliflower. Once fork tender, place in a high speed blender with salt and pepper, and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides when needed. If you use a high speed blender, you'll be able to get this super smooth consistency. Taste to see if it needs salt or pepper. Set aside.
- Lastly, place another sauté pan over medium heat and add ghee. Wash scallops and pat dry then sprinkle salt on top of all of them. Once ghee is melted and pan is very hot, add scallops without crowding the pan. Once you place the scallops in the pan, use tongs to move each scallop around in a swirling motion. I do this to keep them from sticking in the pan. Once you swirl them once, you should not need to do this again. Let cook on both sides for about 3 minutes until browned.
- To serve, place a large plop of the cauliflower on a plate, place your spoon in the middle of the plop then slide the spoon down the plate. Serve 3-4 scallops at one end and some of the marinated tomatoes at the other end, then pour some of the cream sauce on top.*
*You will have lots of leftover cream sauce so use it on chicken or fish or as a hollandaise on top of eggs!