Coffee Rubbed Steak Tacos
For the marinade
For the rub
For the veggies
- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- Place skirt steak in a deep dish. Whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade then pour marinade over the skirt steak. Cover dish and place in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade and dry off with a paper towel. Mix together the rub then press the rub into the meat until it’s completely coated. Set aside.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee along with the sweet potatoes and cook until sweet potatoes are browned and soft, about 12-15 minutes. Add salt, to taste.
- Remove sweet potatoes, add 2 more tablespoons of ghee (if needed) then add peppers and onion. Cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes, then add garlic along with a pinch of salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes to the pan and toss to combined. Place on low heat.
- Heat up a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grease grill or grill pan then cook steak on both sides for 4-5 minutes per side, for medium-rare (depending on the thickness). Remove from grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Lastly, place tortillas over an open flame for 5-10 seconds to brown on both sides. Place thinly sliced steak on top of the tortilla along with some of the veggies, cilantro and sliced jalapeños!