- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares 1x
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese (dairy or almond milk)
- 1/2 stick softened unsalted butter (or 4 tablespoons ghee)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce + extra for garnish
- pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream together eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract using a handheld mixer or standing mixer. Once the mixture becomes more pale in color, add the oil and pumpkin puree and mix together until combined.
- Next add the gluten free flour, 1/4 cup a time, and use a spatula to folder in until no flour remains. Lastly, add the baking powder, soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt; until completely combined. Pour mixture into the greased baking dish and place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. Let cool on the counter.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, place cream cheese in the large bowl of a standing mixer and whip until smooth. Then add the butter and vanilla extract, and whip for another 4-5 minutes until soft and combined. Add the powdered sugar slowly, 1/4 cup at a time until none remains, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Lastly, add caramel sauce and cinnamon and whip until completely combined.
- Once the cake is cooling and frosting is whipped, add the frosting on top of the cake and use an offset spatula to smooth out the frosting on top. I like to pour on a tablespoon or two of extra caramel sauce then mix that into the frosting to make a swirl throughout. Cut into 16 squares and serve up! Store in the fridge then let a slice come to room temperature before eating!