Caramel Donut & Ice Cream Topped Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
For the donuts
- 6 dried medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the caramel
For the ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in a large bowl in a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth and well combine.
- Stir in coconut flour, tapioca flour, eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Combine until well mixed.
- Use an ice cream scoop to add a scoop of batter to each muffin tin. I used a silicone muffin liner, but feel free to use a regular muffin tin with liners. Fill each tin 1/2 full. This should make 10-12 cupcakes.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through. Then remove from oven, place on cooling rack and let cool completely.
- While the cupcakes cool, begin to make the donuts. Place dried dates in a food processor and pulse to break down. Then add applesauce, melted coconut oil, and eggs to the food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add coconut flour, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of salt and puree once more until combine.
- *To make the donuts easy to pour and keep them a round shape, place donut puree into a plastic bag or pastry bag, cut the end off of the plastic bag so you can squeeze to mixture in a circle in the donut maker.
- Heat up a mini donut maker, grease the donut maker maker or pan, and use the bag to squeeze about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into each donut round.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. This should make 10-12 donuts.
- Remove donuts once cooked through and let rest and cool on a wire rack.
- Lastly, make the caramel while the donuts are cooking and cooling. Find the recipe here.
- Once caramel is done cooking and is thick, place in a shallow bowl for easy dipping.
- Now time to make the cupcakes. Start stacking: a cupcake, topped with a scoop of ice cream, then dip each top of a donut into the caramel and place on top of ice cream.
- Serve immediately!