Huevos Rancheros Tostadas with Creamy Tomatillo Salsa
For the tomatillo salsa
- 6 tomatillos, husked
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 large jalapeño
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- hefty pinch of salt
For the cauliflower puree
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the tostadas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place tomatillos, onion and jalapeno in a greased pan over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes then add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, turning every couple minutes to cook on all sides evenly. Remove from heat to cool slightly. Place in high speed blender along with lime juice, cilantro avocado and salt and puree until smooth and combine. Taste to see if any extra salt or lime juice needs to be added for preference. Set aside.
- Steam the cauliflower until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. It should resemble mashed potatoes. Add the garlic powder and salt and puree once more. Set aside.
- Cook breakfast sausage, breaking apart the meat into bite size pieces. Cook until no pink remains then set aside, leaving behind the excess fat for cooking the eggs in.
- Cook eggs over low heat. Cooking them low and slow will make sure that the white cooks through while keeping the yolks runny.
- Now to make the tostadas: spray each Siete tortilla with coconut oil spray on both sides and sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking sheet to bake for 7-8 minutes, flipping half way through to help cook evenly. Once the tortillas are warm and crispy, spread some cauliflower puree on top of each along with a scoop full of breakfast sausage, an egg, tomatillo salsa, red jalapeños, cilantro, pepper, and a couple slices of avocado.
- Serve immediately and enjoy every bite!