Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook “Peanut” Butter Cream Pie
For the filling:
For the crust:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄2 cup raw almonds
- 2⁄3 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of fine sea salt
For the toppings:
- Refrigerate the cans of coconut milk overnight to help the coconut cream separate from the coconut water. When you’re ready to make the pie, open the cans. The coconut cream should have separated from the water and risen to the top. Scoop off the white, creamy layer and reserve the coconut water for drinks and shakes.
- Make the crust: Pulse the cashews and almonds in a food processor until a nut meal begins to form. Then add the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse until completely combined.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch tart pan and up the sides as much as possible. Place the pan in the fridge to harden the crust a bit.
- While the crust is chilling, make the filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the sunflower seed butter, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and coconut cream until smooth and well combined. Once smooth, reduce the heat to low and add the gelatin 1⁄2 teaspoon at a time, whisking continuously, until the gelatin has completely dissolved and the mixture has thickened.
- Pour the filling mixture over the crust and smooth it out with a spatula. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until firm.
- Once the pie is firm, make the whipped cream.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave. Using a spoon, scoop up the melted chocolate and pour it over the pie, moving the spoon back and forth to create a pretty pattern. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie as desired and serve immediately.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.