Vanilla Bean Lemon Curd Waffles
For the lemon curd
- 4 large lemons, zested and juiced (the zest should be about 1/8 cup and the juice a little over 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and seeds scraped out
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the waffles
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix together.
- Put the sugar mixture, lemon juice, egg yolks, and ghee in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir until combined. Turn on heat to medium-low heat and use a whisk to whisk constantly until the mixture melts and the begins to thickens, about 10-12 minutes. Yes, you need to whisk the entire time. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour lemon curd into a jar or glass bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the curd so it is airtight. Cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator. Again, the curd will thicken up after it is completely cooled.
- Make waffles.
- Spread lemon curd on waffles, top with maple syrup and fresh berries.