Ok, so like it usually is on Mondays, it’s an ALMOST 5 ingredient recipe. But the garlic powder and salt and pepper totally don’t count as an ingredient. Sorry I’m not sorry. It tastes good and it’s simple. That’s the whole point of Mondays.
So I love trying new restaurants. I really do. Especially if I’ve heard great things about the restaurant. But I don’t think I like tapas. No sir. You never really know how big the portions are going to be. They could be excessively small to decent size. Well, I tried a new restaurant this past weekend, 9th Door, and LOVED the food but was disappointed in the portion sizes. Mostly because your bill ends up being SO expensive because you go to the restaurant starving, pumped to get food, and the portions are so small that you end up ordering more drinks just to fill your stomach with some kind of substance. Then the bill comes and you are quite disappointed with how empty your stomach still feels. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a cheap ass. Yeah, I’m definitely just a cheap ass. Either way, the food was AWESOME. Goat cheese stuffed sweet peppers? Yes please. It was an explosion of flavor in my mouth.
Anywho, after nibbling on food, we decided alcohol was still needed. So we headed over to a bar called Living Room that plays jazz and has a super chill atmosphere. I hate when I say super chill. But that’s the best way to explain it. Calm people, comfortable couches, and jazz that’s actually enjoyable because it’s not bursting your ear drums. And they covered some sweet, hip songs. I would know, I’m super hip. Anyways, that’s not the point. The point of this story is that at this bar, they have wine on tap. You load a card with some money, then you can try all these different kinds of wine and it just gives you 1 ounce at a time. So if you fall in love with some kind of wine, then you can load up with 5 ounces. Is that a lot? I don’t know. Either way, it’s so fun. And I found a wine I LOVED, but of course I have no clue what it is. Because I had 2 glasses of it. After having 2 glasses at dinner. So my brain stopped caring about things.
I do remember eating a Wow Chocolate Chip Cookie when I got home. Not paleo, but gluten free and completely amazing. Then I fell asleep within the first 6 minutes of the first episode of Scandal. I’m obviously completely addicted.
PS- you should totally mix this recipe with eggs for breakfast. You will not regret it.
- ½ pound bacon, diced
- 16 ounces brussels sprouts, shredded*
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 precooked sausages (I used game sausage, but use any kind you like)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add brussels sprouts, onion and apple cider vinegar to the rendered bacon fat in the dutch oven. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Cook down for about 10 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.
- Once brussels sprouts become soft, add sausage and bacon to dutch oven, mix, and cook down for less than 5 minutes, until sausage is hot. Sprinkle with a bit more salt before serving.