If you haven’t heard of Ancestral Chef, get ready. Louise comes up with some wonderful recipes like her Chocolate Coffee Coconut Truffles and has stuff that I would absolutely never thinking about trying, like making her own toothpaste. No way would I ever try to do that. I’m much too lazy. So thankfully, we have blogs like hers to help us on our own paleo journey. And thanks to her, you now have another egg free breakfast to keep you full and happy. You lucky bastards. Check out her website and enjoy her guest blog post below! Also check out her 4-week paleo meal plan, which is totally free! Who doesn’t love free?
Saving money starts with breakfast!
I’ve said this a ton of times, but I am really quite lazy!
I often bought the Applegate chicken and apple sausages as a quick microwaveable snack. It’s not that bad – organic meats, very little added honey, and it tasted pretty good.
But, it dawned on me one day that I could make a healthier and tastier version of those sausages for cheaper, and this was the result:
First, I peeled and diced an apple.
Then I cooked the apple along with fresh thyme, oregano, and parsley in a bit of coconut oil.
Next, I minced the chicken breasts (or you can use ground chicken meat).
Once the cooked apple mixture was cool, I mixed it in with the ground chicken meat and seasoned it with some salt and pepper.
Then, I formed them into thin patties and baked them for 20 minutes in the oven at 425F. You can instead pan-fry them to get a nice brown coating, but I was too lazy for that!
They’re perfect for freezing and then microwaving (or pan-frying) in the mornings.
- 2 large chicken breasts, or use 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped (or use 2 Tablespoons dried thyme)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped (or use 2 Tablespoons dried oregano)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- coconut oil to cook with
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a skillet and cook (on a medium-high heat) the apples, thyme, parsley, and oregano until the apples soften (7-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Food process the chicken breast (if you’re not using ground chicken meat).
- Mix the chicken meat with everything in the skillet, as well as the garlic powder, salt and pepper (including any leftover oil).
- Form 12 thin patties (1/2 inch thick) from the meat and place on a baking tray lined with foil (so you don’t need to wash the baking tray).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check with a meat thermometer that the internal temperature of a patty near the middle of the tray is 170F.
- Cool and store in fridge or freezer (reheat easily in the mornings in the skillet or in the microwave).
- If you want the sausages to be browned, then just pan-fry for a few minutes in coconut oil. You can also pan-fry the raw sausages instead of putting them into the oven.