Ummmmm how good do these look?! I haven’t done a guest post in a while so I’m pretty excited to have Savory Lotus share her gorgeous recipe with us. Katja has beautiful and creative recipes on her site for any sort of flavor palate out there. I seriously want to try all of her recipes. Go check out her recipes index and get to cooking! But first, make these Mini Chocolate Waffles RIGHT NOW for breakfast!
This is for all of you chocolate lovers out there. Cute little mini chocolate waffles that are going to blow your mind, or at least your taste buds.
Some occasions just call for decadent eats. It’s not like we eat chocolate waffles every day for breakfast around here. But there are times when the need arises. And you might as well make it good.
This little recipe was developed on a rare Friday night when I was actually alone in my house. No kids. No sweet man. Just little old me and my waffle maker. Who makes chocolate waffles on a Friday night? I do, I guess.
I have to admit that I have been in a little creative slump lately. I have been cranking out recipes, blog posts, and photos for month now. Feeling super inspired. Enjoying the creative process. But somehow over the past few weeks, I’ve lost my creative edge. I’ve been feeling a bit lazy and uninspired. So on the particular Friday night in question I decided to get my MOJO back.
What do I do to find inspiration? I start crawling the web. I start looking at all of my favorite blogs out there. PaleOMG, Nom Nom Paleo, Rubies and Radishes. Pinch of Yum, The Spunky Coconut, The Urban Poser, Living Loving Paleo, Against All Grain, Empowered Sustenance… there are so many that I love. And then there’s PINTEREST. I could get lost on there for hours. Follow me on PINTEREST here.
Not sure how recipes actually come to me. It usually starts with a photo of something really yummy looking. It makes me think of how I can make that but healthier. I bookmark tons of recipes. I look at tons of food photos. I’m always looking for that creative spark. Something usually grabs me. My wheels start spinning. And all of a sudden, I know what I want to make next for the blog.
This recipe started with an image of some really sweet-looking waffle ice cream sandwiches. What an awesome idea. Mini waffles stuffed with ice cream. BRILLANT! So I started to think about how cute mini waffles could be. Then I started to think about how I wished I had some chocolate. Why not make some mini chocolate waffles? Inspiration found!
Darling little grain free mini chocolate waffles that you can feel good about eating. Loaded with nutrient-dense eggs, healthy coconut fats and flour, unrefined maple syrup, and antioxidant-rich raw cacao powder. Decadent. Crisp. Delish! So, here you go. Make. Eat. Enjoy.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 TBS ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 3 TBS real maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ghee or coconut oil for waffle iron
- Preheat your waffle maker.
- Sift together coconut flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand blender, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, fat of choice, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined and foamy, about 20-30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and blend together again.
- Liberally brush waffle iron with ghee or coconut oil. Drop spoonfuls (about 1 TBS) of batter randomly onto waffle iron, being sure that the edges of each mini waffle do not touch. I can fit 4 separate mini waffle plops onto my waffle iron.
- Cook until nice and crisp. Repeat until all the batter is gone. Top with fresh berries, maple syrup, or try my perfect chocolate sauce. Enjoy!