I had literally never even heard of salisbury steaks before. It doesn’t even look like a steak. It’s name makes no sense to me. Would you call a rooster a chicken? No. It’s a rooster you idiot. But anyways, I again found myself with leftover ground beef, and no idea of what to make. So who do I turn to? Come on now…you know the answer. Dom. I told you he’s a genius. Are you just wishing Dom had a blog now instead of me? Yeah, me too.
All and all, salisbury steak is just ground beef with a bunch of crap added to it. It’s simple as hell AND freagin delicious. It rocked my world. I even ate it as leftovers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner…in one day. My God, my life is over the top thrilling.
For the steak burgers
- 1.5-2 lbs grass fed ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
For the mushroom gravy
- Heat up that grill of yours. If you don't have a grill, invest in one. Or cook them on your stove top. Whatever.
- Add all the ingredients for the steaks into a large mixing bowl and use your hands to get after it. Mix everything thoroughly. Then make the meat into oval patties. Why ovals? I'm guessing that's what makes them salisbury steaks. I don't know. Just make them oval.
- Put your oval patties on the grill to cook. They will need to cook for about 3-5 minutes each side depending how thick you made them and how pink you want them inside.
- While the patties are on the grill, make the gravy. Add your fat, onions, and garlic to a saute pan over medium-high heat. Let the onions cook until they become translucent. Add the rest of your ingredients including the coconut milk, broth, mushrooms and seasonings.
- Mix together and let cook down a bit. Once the onions are beginning to soften, cover the pan and turn the heat down low to let cook, stirring occasionally.
- Once the burgers and gravy are done, top the steak burgers with the mushroom gravy, and ENJOY! So tasty!
Grocery List Helper:
- Grass Fed Beef: on sale for $2.99 at Sunflower Market
- Mushrooms: on sale at King Soopers
- Beef Broth: Organic, on sale at Sunflower Market
- Yellow Onions: on sale at Sunflower Market