Don’t you love when I add garnishes to plates? I’m obviously incredibly good at taking pictures of food and know exactly what will make your mouth water. That’s a lie. I usually have to take pictures in my dark kitchen at 11pm, while trying to not forget to turn the gas stove off, or leave food on the counter where Laura’s dog will snatch it up. Therefore, I then have to beat him. Nobody likes a person who beats a dog. Ok, jesus, stop thinking I’m an animal beater.
This meal is a bit ridiculously simple. It was made on a Friday. Remember how Fridays are exciting days for me because I usually get to make my meals and eat them off a real plate? Oh, the simple things in life. Well anyways, this was one of those meals. I wanted sweet potato hash browns AND pork sausage. So what did I do? I added that sh*t together to make a little handy dandy patty. And was it delicious? Oh dear God, delicious. It was the perfect post wod snack for my workout with Meg at CrossFit Lakewood. We did a snatch, GHD, and pistol wod and all I could think about through the entire thing was my delicious treat. Do you think I have a problem? I mean, during the 400 wod at Regionals, throughout the double unders I kept thinking about how delicious my protein shake would be. This is why I have Fred in my life at times (my buddha belly).
By the way, I just got a smart phone yesterday. I’ve been missing out in life. But I also feel old. And in the dark. Apps are confusing to me. Sending text messages is difficult without buttons. And my phone dies by 12pm. It’s going to take some getting used to. But you know what that means?! I will be creating my PaleOMG Facebook page and updating it regularly VIA PHONE!! Oh my God. Crazy. I already took pictures that should be on my page, but still not used to it. Baby steps. Stop laughing at me. I’m 23. I’m old. Kidding, ok. Thank goodness I have Ryan from CrossFit-Evolve to explain to me how to work my phone and be one with society. I thank you Ryan.
Check out this video from Again Faster on my Breakfast Patties!
- 1/2 pork sausage
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 apple, cored
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fat (I used duck fat)
- Add your pork sausage and seasonings to a large bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Now grab your food processor. If you don't have a food processor, jokes on you and you'll have to use a shredder or whatever will shred your apple and sweet potato into hash brown threads. If you're using a food processor, put on the shredding tool.
- Throw your whole sweet potato and apple to it to be shredded (I'm getting sick of the word 'shred')
- Once they are done, add the sweet potato and apple directly to your pork sausage mixture and use your hands to combine with the pork.
- Heat up a large skillet under medium-high heat and add a bit of fat to the pan. Coconut oil would be great for these patties.
- Now form 4 patties of your mixture and add the patties directly to your oiled pan. Cook at both sides for about 5-6 minutes depending how thick they are.
- Enjoy this food with a friend, on the floor of a CrossFit gym. It just doesn't taste quite the same at an actual kitchen table.
Grocery List Helper:
- Pork Sausage: on sale at Whole Foods (you can even by the links if they are on sale and just take off the casing!)
- Sweet potato: Sunflower Market
- Apple: Sunflower Market