Apple and Butternut Squash Hash
I need to stop eating squashes. It’s getting out of control. I think I bought every kind of squash possible the other day. Pretty sure some of them are just decorative squashes. Some look like they have weird moles. But I don’t care. I’m going to cook them anyways.
So this weekend was a pretty damn good weekend. Mostly because I did anything and everything I wanted to. I watched my friend Tommy compete in a CrossFit competition, I hung out with Sarah which included eating a Chipotle bowl with sweet potato chips then finished it off with my new favorite chocolate bar (which I pretty much spent my entire paycheck on…so worth it), then I went out to my favorite bar and was lucky enough to see my friend Justin who moved to San Fransisco recently. Can you say run on sentence?
Anywho, it was a good weekend. But probably the best part of the weekend was Sunday night. When I was invited to CrossFit Rootsin Boulder to be a judge for their Crocktoberfest. It.Was.Awesome. I got to try 17 crockpot recipes and rate them based on their originality, taste, and presentation. Awesome idea huh?
The champion was a seven layer beef dish. I don’t even remember all the ingredients, but I remember it was awesome. And there were mashed plantains and almond flour tortillas alongside. Say wha?? Yeah, it was fabulous. And seeing everyone’s crockpot really made me want a new one. The lid is kind of broken on mine, so I have to pry it off with a knife, which usually means I take on some uncomfortable steam burns. I should start putting my face over it, burn off acne scars. Those b*tches.
Thank you to everyone at CrossFit Roots for having me. Especially Nicole, Stephanie and Shane. You three are not only extremely good looking, but super cool. Can’t wait to come back again soon!
Speaking of crockpots, I got a new tool recently. A pressure cooker. And I want to use it real bad. But I’m intimdated by it. It’s so scary. The directions are crap and they don’t use pictures. I’m totally a pictures type of person, because my brain works like a child’s brain. I’m going to have to look up some pressure cooker youtube tutorials in order to get over my fear of dying via pressure cooker.Print
Apple and Butternut Squash Hash
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 1 small butternut squash, skin removed, shredded
- 1 apple, shredded
- 1lb US Wellness Meats Natural Breakfast Sausage
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add your diced bacon to the pan. Once the bacon is flipped a couple times and crispy, add to a separate plate to cool, keeping the bacon fat in the pan.
- In the bacon fat pan, add your minced garlic and diced onion. Mix around to coat.
- While the onions are cooking down, shred your apple and butternut squash. I just put mine through my food processor with the shredding attachment. Don’t have one? Use a grater. Don’t have one? Dice the apple and butternut squash instead.
- When your onions become translucent, add your breakfast sausage to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Brown the meat until it is half way cooked, then add your apple and butternut squash to the pan. Mix around.
- Add your basil and salt and pepper and mix around thoroughly.
- Cover for around 6-8 minutes, mixing around randomly to keep from burning, and to help cook the butternut squash down
- When your meat has cooked through and your butternut squash is tender, add back in the bacon and mix well.
- Add a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
- Eat up buttercup!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!