Avocado Cilantro Chicken Salad
So I don’t know if you recently heard me swear off almond butter, but I did. I told myself I wouldn’t eat it for a month. Stupid idea huh? That’s why I did it, I knew it would be hard and pretty much impossible for me. And guess what…it was. I gave in after three days.Three. Freaking. Days. I’m an adult and I can’t even control my almond butter addiction. But here’s the thing, ever since Georgia and I gave up fruit for the month, Georgia has been consuming higher amounts of fat, meaning almond butter. And she mixes regular almond butter with honey and cinnamon….do you honestly expect me to say no to that? Honestly? You’re stupid if you said yes. I don’t give a sh*t about will power. I give a sh*t about my happiness. Even if that happiness includes love handles.
Ok, back to the point of life. I really REALLY like chicken salad. At Whole Foods, their chicken salad that costs $11.99/lb (yeah I said that right, 11 dollars and 99 cents PER POUND) and is DRENCHED in mayo. It’s stupid delicious. Maybe it’s so expensive because they used 1lb of mayo per .08lb of chicken. Makes sense, right? They’re smart there at Whole Foods. They know mayo tastes good on anything. ANYTHING. I think it would even make that attic fluffy stuff taste good. Back to the point though. Making paleo mayo is exhausting sometimes. I’d just rather not spend 10-20 minutes making mayo when there is a better fat alternative…AVOCADO. So I made a dressing out of avocado. Then I smeared it on chicken and added a bunch of crap from my fridge. Easy peasy.Print
Paleo Avocado Cilantro Chicken Salad
- 1lb chicken, cooked and diced
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 1 bundle cilantro, stems removed
- 3–4 long carrots, shredded
- 3–4 stems celery, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice 1/2 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- So you need to start off cooking your chicken however you’d like. If you want a more “grilly” flavor, grill it. Duh. I just boiled my chicken because I didn’t have a ton of time so boiling the chicken was the quickest option. Have you ever seen boiled chicken? It looks disgusting. Just a warning.
- While your chicken cooks, make your dressing. Pull out your wonderful food processor. Mine has been smoking lately. Making almond butter does a number on the engine…oops.
- Add your avocados, cilantro, lemon, lime, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to the food processor. Mix thoroughly until the avocado becomes a paste. This will take about 1-2 minutes or so.
- Once your avocado creamy sauce/paste is tasting delish, add it to your diced chicken. If you haven’t already shredded your carrots or diced your other veggies, do that. I just the shredding attachment on my food processor to shred my carrots.
- Mix veggies into your chicken salad and add a handful of sliced almonds.
- Top with salt and pepper for a little extra flavor and a little leftover cilantro.
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!