I’ve decided that this year is the year of visiting friends. Which means I want to visit San Diego, Washington, Portland and Pittsburgh. That’s all I have on my list so far but that also may include Austin as well. And then I’ll definitely be heading to Costa Rica, Jamaica and most likely Orlando. Ok, that’s all I have on my list. As I get older, all my friends keep branching out all over the place and it’s so easy to lose touch once families grow and priorities change. So I’m trying to make the step to visit more of my friends since they aren’t always able to with their own busy schedules. This is the first time in 3 years I haven’t been writing a book so I’m going to take full advantage to relishing in all the moments and all the travel.
Speaking of travel, I leave for Costa Rica today for my PaleOMG retreat! It’s a little fitness retreat I planned months and months ago and now it’s actually happening! Wooooooohoooooo! I seriously hate Colorado right now. The days of endless snow and ice everywhere has my feet freezing and me hating every second of every day. Positive 2016 just is not off to a great start. So I’m hoping this little exercise getaway will get me back to loving life and get me excited for the next few months of planning before our wedding is here in April! Maybe if I just go to Costa Rica then head to Orlando in February and find somewhere else warm to travel to March, I’ll forget about . I really need to win the powerball and just become a snow bird. Is that what they’re called? Just live in Florida in the winter and Colorado in the summer. I could do that.
You guys. I went to the rodeo for the first time (what felt like the first time since I don’t remember when I went as a child) and man, that sh*t is sad! I have mad respect for the people who do that and the cowboys who have the strength and the mind and the power to do all that. But watching a little calf sprint as fast as he can, just to get his neck snapped back or get flipped onto his back is so hard to watch. I decided to just walk around when that was happening. I know I know, I’ll eat beef but I’m annoyed with that. I just don’t tend to play with my food ya know?
Anywho, I have a plane to catch! Be sure to check the blog all week because even though I’m out of town, I still have all sorts of good stuff planned for you right here!
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1/4 teaspoon for second round of cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 spicy Italian chicken sausages (I used Brat Hans brand which are fully cooked), diced
- roughly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Place bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove excess bacon fat, leaving behind about 3 tablespoons.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Add cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder and mix with the onion. Then add broth and bay leaves and mix. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add bacon and sausages to the dutch oven along with ¼ teaspoon of salt, cover again and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove bay leaves before serving, garnish with fresh parsley!
Want More Recipes? How about 192 paleo recipes from your favorite bloggers, authors and chefs?! Check out the Best of Paleo Recipes 2015 Ebook to keep you on track in the New Year! Here’s a sneak peek at a couple of delicious snacks!
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Pork / Veggies