Gluten Free Apple Dump Cake
Ok ok, I give in. Fall is here and there is no getting around it. Our new autumn blaze maple tree in the backyard is beginning to change colors, I had soup over the weekend and loved every second of it, and I’m kind of digging my apple pie candle. I give in. Even though I hate when any cold weather comes in, I can’t deny that I love the flavors. I think I’m just pushing back because everyone was talking about pumpkin spice at the beginning of September and a few stores were talking about doing Black Friday in October. It just felt like everyone was putting the cart before the horse. Like when Brian and I got married 5 years ago and everyone was asking when we were going to have kids before we had even sat down on our wedding night for dinner. People love to move into the future instead of absorbing the present. But I, for one, am trying to live every day as my best day so pumpkin, soup, and babies will have to wait. But not apples!!
If you look in the photo, you can see me hovering over this spoon to take the photo. I’m really thankful I was wearing purple pants that slightly look like skin color. Great look.
We were in Utah over the weekend for a trip away with new friends. It was all about bonding, connections, and soul searching. And on this trip we ate vegan and fasted at times. I’m not one to eat vegan nor do I fast, other than every night when I sleep, so it took a little bit to get used to. So while I fasted, I daydreamed about food. And I wrote down all the recipe ideas that popped into my mind. Turns out, when you’re SUPER hungry, recipe ideas come to you like zits on a hormonal teenager. Ew. What a terrible anecdote. Anywho, recipe ideas just kept coming and this one was at the top of my list. Pie is annoying to me, cake it a process, but DUMP CAKE? Now that shit is easy. And I love easy. And YOU love easy. My easiest recipes are always my most popular so here you go, I got your back!
Gluten Free Apple Dump Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 5 apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp, but you could also use gala, pink lady, etc)
- 1 tablespoon butter (ghee or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar (coconut sugar or organic cane sugar)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (or full fat canned coconut milk)
- 1 package Simple Mills Gluten Free Cake Mix
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks of butter), cut into small cubes – you can also use ghee or coconut oil
- your favorite ice cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Place a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add the apples and let them sauté for about 10 minutes, getting soft and caramelized. Then add the apple pie spice and toss with the apples to wake up the spices. After about a minute, add the maple sugar and and heavy cream. Mix to combined and bring to a low boil to create a caramel sauce with the apples. Remove from heat after about 3-5 minutes, once the caramel has begun to thicken. Pour into the greased baking dish and spread evenly throughout.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the apples and spread evenly. Place the cubes of butter on top of the cake mix, covering as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Place in the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Top with your favorite ice cream and serve up to your favorite souls.
What I Used To Make This Recipe:
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
This post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!
11 thoughts on “Gluten Free Apple Dump Cake”
So it is just the dry cake mix with the butter dotted all over? Wow, now that is easy. I must say this sounds delicious.
I have the same question, is it the cake mix prepared or just the powder?
powder, just like i wrote in the recipe!!
Would a different mix/flour work? Can’t use almond flour due to a nut allergy
I made this and it was awesome. I doubled the apples and used the Switch cake mix. Fucking A it was good.
We went apple picking and have now made this 3 times :). So damn easy and so good!! Thank you!
Hi, can this recipe also be made with brown sugar?
This recipe is so easy, and SO delicious! Used a combination of ghee, and coconut oil (mainly bc I ran out of ghee 😅). It was INCREDIBLE. Thank you for this recipe!