I think we should reconnect. I’ve missed you. Yeah you. I’ve been doing this thing called working a crap ton lately. Therefore, my blogs have suffered. And I must apologize. Ugh, I hate apologizing. Reason #43 why I’m single. But I haven’t JUST been working, I’ve also been social. It’s a weird concept to me. I tend to be somewhat of an introvert, especially on the weekends because I’m too exhausted to speak, let alone enjoy other people’s presence. But, this past weekend I welcomed social interaction with open arms. I said to myself, “Juli, be a normal person for once, you asshole” and then I was.
I was lucky enough to get to hang out with some of the coolest CrossFitters in the Denver area. Some of my friends from CF Lodo and CF Lakewood put together a little CF day…and named it “Epic Day.” Epic Day should absolutely occur monthly. It was exhausting, I smelled incredibly inappropriate, and I have bruises in places that don’t even make sense, but it was awwwwesome. Double Rainbow Awesome. We started the day off with a wod in the park, followed by a planking picture contest (check out Denver Planking on facebook!!), then beer biking, then bag toss, then beer pong, then bike rides, then ate some weeners at Biker Jim’s, then finished the night off in style dancing at Blake Street Tavern. Did I mention I almost peed myself about 6-7 times from laughing so hard that day? Oh, I didn’t? Ya, because that would make you uncomfortable, like you feel now…my bad. Anywho, this whole day occurred without a shower. I wanted to reapply deodorant but my friend thought without would be more hardcore. I agreed. Thank god I expect to be single forever or I might have worried about wearing a striped green headband soaked in sweat, to a bar, on a Saturday night.
Aren’t you glad I was social this weekend? Aren’t you proud? Well sh*t, I am. And what does this have to do with Mexican Inspired Burgers. Well, nothing at all. I made these burgers last Wednesday. And they included no social interaction, except with my roommate Laura. She helps with the photography since that isn’t my strong point. And I sometimes let her try my food. Rarely. I’m an asshole.
For the Mexi burgers--
- 1 lb buffalo (or ground beef)
- 1 (6oz) can of green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle red pepper (or chili powder)
For the toppings--
- 1 package mushrooms
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 14oz jar of roasted peppers, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle red pepper or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Avocado Roasted Red Pepper sauce--
First, stop being frightened by the ingredient list. It's not that intense. Grow a pair.
- Ok, so grab a sauce pan or skillet and add a bit of coconut oil to it, along with your sliced onions. Let those guys caramelize, stirring them randomly so they don't burn.
- Now grab another skillet, add your coconut oil, mushrooms, roasted peppers and spices and let those cook down for a while.
- NOW make your burger patties. Grab a large bowl, add the meat, spices, and green chiles to it and mix thoroughly. Once the burgers are formed, add them to a large greased skillet. If you don't want to skillet them, cook them on the grill you jerk. I covered them with a lid to help them cook a bit quicker. Cook for about 5-6 minutes/side depending how thick they are.
- Last thing, while the burgers are cooking, make your avocado sauce. It's insanity. Pull out your food processor, add all ingredients for the sauce to it and puree until smooth. This sauce is almost like a cheese sauce. But without the bloat and gas. How great is that?
- Once your toppings are cooked, your burgers are cooked to perfection, and your sauce is silky silky smooth (I hope you said silky in a seductive voice like I did), stack it all up. Burger, sauce, toppings, then some sliced avocado on top. More fat = happier Juli. And bigger butt Juli, so happier Juli once again.
21DSD Entrees / Beef / Veggies