Posted by https://paleomg.com/paleo-by-season-cookbook-review-ground-elk-patties-with-spinach-and-sweet-potato/
© 2014 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Paleo By Season Cookbook Review: Ground Elk Patties with Spinach and Sweet Potato
For the elk patties
- 2 pound ground elk (I used 1 pound ground beef and 1 pound ground buffalo)
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the sweet potatoes and spinach
- 2 tablespoons ghee (I used butter)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into medium dice (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for the elk patties using your hands. Form the mixture into little 2-once oblong meatballs, about 3 inches long. This should give you about 15-17 total. Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased sheet pan and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- While the elk cooks, start the sweet potatoes and spinach: Add the ghee to a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat for 4-5 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes and ½ teaspoon of salt. Let the potatoes roast for 6-8 minutes, stir, then continue cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with ½ cup of the stock. Reduce the stock for 4-5 minutes, then let the potatoes roast again for 6 minutes. Stir and let cook for another 6 minutes, then add the spinach and the remaining ½ cup of stock. Let steam for 2-3 minutes, then stir to incorporate the spinach. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Serve the elk over the sweet potatoes and spinach.