Slow Cooker Tomatillo Pork Chile Verde
When I write this recipe name, all I can think of is Ashley on Chris’s season of the Bachelor saying, “I feel like I’m in the, ummmm, the Mesa Verdeeee.” While she was shooting zombies. What a great great episode.
I want you to understand something. This dish is so damn delicious. So delicious. And it’s stupid easy. Honestly, if you don’t feel like making all of it, you could just do the first step of roasting and blending the peppers and eat it as salsa. Because I plan on doing that tonight. Either way, with or without meat, it’s damn delicious. Did I tell you that it’s delicious yet? Ok, now I’m just overdoing it. Stop being annoying, Juli.
You guys. Chemical peels are so annoying. I got one on Friday and I’m shedding my skin, snake style. I woke up this am to dead skin everywhere. Including in my hair from moving around at night. Not a good look. But I am totes down for looking younger and doing what is needed to get there, all while getting rid of the acne scars that cystic acne left me with. So yes, I’m down with burning off my face. Is that vain? Oh yeah, for sure. But I’m totally down for aging gracefully. And I’m pro-doingwhatever worksforyou to help you age how you prefer to. Whether that’s naturally, botoxy, lasery or whatever the hell else you like to do behind closed doors. Do you, baby boo. Time to clean my sheets. So gross. I wish women spoke more about the weird things they did to make them glow. Like shedding their face off.
I’m fully ruining this recipe. Let me regroup.
Are you guys on snapchat? I just got on it last week and I’m kind of obsessed. It’s fun recording random crap throughout the day. And getting to share who I really am…which is weird and obsessed with my dog. But something I find really creepy is seeing when people screenshot your post. Like…why’d you screenshot that, bro? The other morning, after my face peeling off, I put on the thickest lotion of all time then took a 5am greasy face selfie with my dog. And someone took a screen shot of it. What are they doing with a screenshot of my grease ball 5am face?! The horror!!! I’ll stay on it, but maybe I should only show my makeup face…not my chemical peel one.Print
Slow Cooker Tomatillo Pork Chile Verde
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- 3 jalapeños, cut in half
- 3 anaheim peppers, cut in half
- 8 tomatillos, husked and cut in half
- 1–2 tablespoons melted ghee
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 pound pork butt or shoulder (I used bone-in)
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (the amount of salt will depending on the salt amount in the broth)
- 2 cups bone broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut jalapeños, anaheim peppers and tomatillos in half and place cut side down on the baking sheet. Use a brush to brush each pepper with a bit of ghee and then sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven to cook for 20-30 minutes, until charred on the outside. Let cool then run under cold water to help peel off and discard the skin and seeds.
- Place tomatillos, peppers, lime, onion and garlic cloves in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once very hot, sprinkle the outside of the pork butt with a bit of salt then sear both sides, about 5-6 minutes per side. Put the pork butt in the crock pot then cover with the roasted pepper puree then sprinkle oregano, red pepper flakes, cumin, white pepper, and salt on top. Pour broth in the crockpot around the pork butt.
- Cook for 8 hours on low.
- Once cooked through, either shred the pork in the crockpot or remove the pork and shred with two forks, discarding the excess fat and bone then add pork back to the crockpot and mix to combine.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro on top!
Other Damn Delicious Crockpot Food:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!