Ok, I have writers block. Not that I don’t have anything to say, but I’m too exhausted to say it. My mind has checked out. My body has begun to say f*ck you every day when I wake up, and my eyes slowly close as the day goes on. Every day. Think I may need to sleep a bit more? Sh*t yes I do. Why? Because I’m sleeping an average of 4 hours a night, if I’m lucky. You know what that means? It means 2 pots of coffee a day. At least my digestive tract is clean. But it also means my cortisol levels are f*cked. I’m starting to sport a little pot belly. That could have to do with the container of dark chocolate almonds I inhaled in 3.2 minutes or the pint of coconut ice cream I hurled down, but that’s besides the point. Being a girl is stupid. My lord I’m full of excuses today. Pardon me for being a douche. I’ll drop that attitude. Anyways, cortisol levels being off = bad news. If you’re sporting a kangaroo pouch like me, try sleeping more, or take a pregnancy test. At least I know it’s my cortisol. You probably have a more exciting life than me though…
Enough about pregnancy, that makes uncomfortable, and nauseous. Wanna know something I’ve been doing with my free time? Well, dancing most of the time, but I’ve been planking as well. Why? I don’t know, I hang out with cool people and want to be cool like them and they plank, so I plank too. If we’re not friends on Fbook, that’s a shame. Then you would have the opportunity to witness all planking photos. But I’ll give you a taste. RJ and I were partners for our planking contest last weekend. Best. Partner. Ever. He just rocks. And is a stud, obviously. I’m not sure why planking is the new cool thing to do, but it is. If you’re not doing it, you might as well not be alive. Holy crap, that was harsh, I’m so spicy today.
Anyways, in between planking and not sleeping, I’ve still managed to whip up a couple delicious recipes for you. This one was good, real good. It has a bunch of random flavors that still somehow worked well together. Shallots are amazing. Dear god, cherries are fantastic….and ON SALE. Boom. And tarragon seems to work in any meal. So why the hell wouldn’t I put all these flavors together?? Seems like a given.
Well, that was a random and confusing read wasn’t it? My b.
- 1 lb chicken (I used thighs. Fattier, tastier, cheaper)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (or other fat--bacon fat would be bomb, duh.)
- Ok, let's get the saucy sauce together. Pull out a saucepan and heat up 1 tablespoon coconut oil under medium heat.
- Add your thinly sliced shallots to the pan and let them cook down until they are translucent. Mix them around every couple minutes so they don't burn. Now add your cherries along with your red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Let that cook down for a bit under low heat.
- While your saucy sauce flavors come together, pull out a large skillet to cook up your chicken. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to it under medium-high heat. While the pan heats, season your chicken on both sides with the leftover cinnamon and tarragon, along with oregano, thyme, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the hot pan and cover the pan to help steam it and cook a bit quicker. Let the chicken cook on both sides for about 5-6 minutes/side depending how thick those little guys are.
- Once your chicken is done cooking, set it to the side. One more step. And don't skip this step. DON'T!
- Grab a small skillet, add just a lil dabble of coconut oil along with your almonds under medium-high heat. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and salt and mix around to combine. Toast the almonds for about 5 minutes, if that, mixing constantly. These guys will burn easily so keep an eye on them. Taste one (without burning your mouth you idiot) to see if the texture is a bit crunchy and taste is to your liking.
- Now for the grand finale. Grab a piece of chicken, top it with your cherry saucy sauce, and top it with toasted almonds. Oh hellllls yeah. Beautiful.
Chicken / Fruit