Posted by https://paleomg.com/thanksgiving-side-dish-bacon-chive-sweet-potato-biscuits/
© 2012 PaleOMG.com. All rights reserved.
Thanksgiving Side Dish: Bacon and Chive Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1 large sweet potato or yam (equivalent to 2 cups mashed)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 6-8 strips of bacon, diced
- leftover rendered fat from bacon
- 3-4 tablespoons chives, thinly diced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Pork holes in your sweet potato with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-40 or until soft.
- Once the sweet potato is done baking, turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- When you sweet potato is almost done cooking, place your diced bacon into a skillet and brown until crispy. Then place your cooked, crispy bacon on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up the excess fat. The fat that is left behind in the pan, you will use in your biscuits.
- When your sweet potato is done, peel and place in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Then add in your eggs and mix well with your sweet potato. Then add your in your bacon fat and mix well.
- Then your dry ingredients: coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Finally add your diced cooked bacon and chives. Mix thoroughly
- Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a large spoon to drop your biscuits on the sheet, shaping them as needed. Try to make them all equal in size so they cook the same.
- Place in oven and bake for 22-27 minutes.
- Let rest.
- Top with some melted grass fed butter. You don't have to, since it's not paleo, but I did it, and it was delicious. Trust me.
If you don't use bacon/bacon fat, add ¼ cup of coconut oil, melted.