This recipe reminds me of my Sage Bison Burgers with Balsamic Bacon Apple Chutney I made back in the day. Apple and meat goes together so well. It’s just a fact.
This puppy of mine, Jackson, has been absolutely wonderful. If you’ve seen my instagram lately, you know I’m absolutely obsessed with him. Sorryimnotsorry. When trying to decide his name, I turned to instagram and asked everyone what they thought he should be named. There were over 2,000 comments, some which were awesome ones. But we ended up deciding on our own, surprisingly. We decided to go with Jackson because the boyfriend’s favorite baseball player is Bo Jackson and then we could also call him Jack Bauer (which is my last name and the star of 24 if you’ve ever watched that show). I’ve never watched it, but everyone thinks they’re hilarious when they ask if I’m related to Jack Bauer, so I’ll entertain them with this one.
Jackson has been awesome. He sleeps in his crate, only cries to go to the bathroom at night, and is starting to get this whole peeing outside thing down. The only thing we are starting to go through now is the teething process. We have some great things for him to chew on, but damn are his teeth sharp. I fed him an apple slice yesterday to hopefully help him get used to being more gentle with fingers…fail. He pierced the skin. Blood and all. So my question to you dog parents (or children parents. they bite stuff, don’t they?) do you do anything to keep them from biting everything? I heard put Bengay on the things you don’t want to bite…that seems a bit unhealthy for the dog to lick though? Am I right or am I right? And I’m not really into constantly scolding him for biting at things. Not my thing. I’m more into the kissing him constantly kind of things. Advice please. Only good advice, though. Kgreatthanks.
It’s crazy how fast he’s growing up. It’s freaking me out. Is this how parents feel when their kids grow up? I don’t like it. He used to just cuddle up in my arms and want to love me constantly. Now he just wants to bite and bark at inantimate constantly. Oh, and eat goose poop. He’s such into that. I told my boyfriend I think he’s becoming a goth teenager. Just a rebel without a cause. As soon as his ears popped up, the drama set in. But I can take it, I’m a mom now. I saw what my mother went through with me as her demon spawn…I can take it with an animal that can’t use actually words. Like the swear words I liked to use. Now look at how great he is!!
- homemade sweet potato fries (optional)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound ground bison (or other ground meat such as beef, turkey or chicken)
- 1 eggs
- 1 small green apple, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped arugula + extra for garnishing burgers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- extra coconut oil or butter, to coat pan
- Against the Grain gluten & grain free rolls or my breakfast biscuits
- Make sweet potato fries and biscuits, if preparing with your meal.
- In a medium saute pan, add coconut oil along with onion and a bit of salt. Coat in oil and let cook for 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and brown.
- When onions are almost done cooking, place beef, egg, apple, arugula, garlic cloves, salt and pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Form 4-5 patties, pressing a thumb into the middle to keep the burgers from puffing up.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a bit of coconut oil or butter to grease the pan. Then add patties, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook on both sides for 5-6 minutes or until patties are cooked to preference.
- Make patties with half of a biscuit, arugula, burger patty and onions.