I get tired of people complaining about not knowing what to eat for breakfast. Actually, that’s not true. Because I just give them a simple answer: leftovers from the night before. I don’t see anything wrong with leftovers for breakfast. I’m usually excited to wake up the next morning, just so I can’t eat my leftovers. True fact. But I do sometimes make you breakfast ideas to ease you into your breakfast needs. And here is one. This recipe should be named “Crockpot baked sweet potatoes mixed with Dairy free pesto topped with fried eggs” but it’s just not that catchy. Or creative. Because I lack in those areas of my brain. So instead, I gave you an easy spin on breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Or even a snack. The possibilities are endless here, people.
Story time!! So I was sitting on the toilet the other morning, whitening my teeth, while looking at Instagram. You know how we all have our secret habits we do at home. Well, that’s one of mine. Except it’s not a secret now. Darn. Don’t worry, I was only going pee. Swear. You don’t talk about the other thing on a blog. You lose readers that way. So as I sat there, I suddenly had to sneeze. And if you’ve ever used whitening strips before, you know that’s the last thing you want to happen. Those thin little strips will blow across the room and stick to the wall. So I tried to keep my mouth open while I sneezed. And instead of shooting my whitening strips onto the wall, I spit all over my arms. And phone. It’s like sneezing while driving. You want it to not happen so bad but you can’t do anything about it.
Since we touched upon pee, let’s go into it even more. My seat warmers in my car sometimes make me feel like I wet the seat. Anyone else think that? Anyone?
Alone, yet again.
So the other night, we had our weekly girls night. It involves us eating food out of a crockpot, eating snacks from whatever everyone else brought, and then eating dessert. And chocolates. My friend Kam always has a candy jar at her house. Not really a jar, a basket. Tha b*tch. We usually watch some kind of show in between shoving food in our face, but since the bachelor ended, we don’t really care about watching anything else. So we decided to start playing games. So we played Telestrations the other night. Ever played it? It’s awesome. I want to play it while slightly intoxicated, so a ladies margarita night may be in store. But if you haven’t played this game, here’s my explanation. It’s like the game telephone but with pictures. So you have to draw things and the person next to you has to guess what it is. And it goes around the circle and usually turns into something completely different. Especially when it comes to someone who lacks a bit of artistry. Let’s check out Laura’s drawing. Her clue was ‘finger food.’ So first think about how you would draw finger food, then look how her brain translated it onto paper.
Do you ever spend your nights staring at pages upon pages of food on pinterest? Me neither.
- 1 sweet potato or yam, poked with a fork
- 2 eggs, cooked to preference
- ⅔ cup walnuts
- 1-1.5 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ cup olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and place in a crockpot for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Once the sweet potato is done cooking, remove from foil to let cool to the touch before removing the skin. Then mash the sweet potato with a fork.
- For the pesto, place walnuts in the food processor along with basil leaves and garlic clove, and pulse until the leaves break down. Then slowly add the olive oil while the food processor is still running. Lastly, add lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Once the sweet potato is mashed and pesto is finished, mix 2-4 tablespoons of the pesto into the mashed sweet potato.
- To finish off the meal, cook up an egg however you like yours. I fried mine to over easy.
- Top egg on top of sweet potato pesto mash.
More Easy Breakfast:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!