Happy New Year, you excessively good looking paleo eaters. How’s your New Year starting off? Are you just starting to read my blog because you’re just going paleo to start the new year off right? Well, welcome!! I apologize now for my annoyingness. Not a word. Whatever.
Anywho, my new year started hungover. Why do we do that to ourselves? Makes no sense. Champagne doesn’t really kick off the New Year. It just kicked me in the pants. I never knew champagne could be so great. I’m a fun champagne drunk.
I’m super excited the holidays are finally over. I haven’t drank that much since I was in college and dancing on bars. I’m not gonna lie, it’s been a blast, but me and alcohol need a long break. I only need to poison myself so many times per year. So thank gosh I haven’t really poisoned myself this year. I’m off to a great start!
Ugh, so many people got engaged on New Years Eve. How cliche. Who am I kidding, I probably would think that was cute if I liked someone enough.
Speaking of people in love, I went to a wedding over the weekend. Oh weddings. You just never know what you’re going to get. Food wise, people wise, religion wise. I’m not really religious, so I tend to black out once any sort bible versus begin to enter the ceremony. No disrespect. I totally get religion and why its so important to other people, but I’m just there to support the couple that are taking the plunge. All I really want is to dance and eat cake. The last wedding I went to was with my friend Dom, who is by far one of the best dancers for weddings and loves food as much as I do. So this wedding had a lot to live up to. Sadly, it was more people my parents age people dancing. And since I was my parents +1, while they danced, I licked the frosting off their plates. So classy. My parents are so proud.
So if you’re wondering what shredded rutabaga tastes like, its seriously like hash browns. No joke. And I wish I had come up with this and could take all credit, but my friend Stacy from California was the first to tell me about it. Her mom Daryl always makes them like hash browns so I had to try it. It’s bomb. Do it. You’ll never need potato hash browns again!
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons bacon fat (or other kind of fat)
- 2-3 eggs (or more)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley (to garnish-optional)
- Peel your rutabaga. Roughly chop then send the rutabaga through a food processor with the shredding attachment. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and minced garlic.
- In a bowl, mix together rutabaga and sliced onion. Place in skillet, spread out in pan and press down. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then use a spatula to flip the rutabaga.
- When the rutabaga is almost done cooking, use a spoon to make a spot in the middle of the shredded rutabaga to crack your egg into. A nice little nesting area for the egg.
- Crack your egg into the middle of the rutabaga. To cook your egg perfectly, grab a lid and pour in just a tablespoon of water into the pan and cover. Let cook for a minute or two until egg is cooked to your preference.
- I did this in 4 batches with all the rutabaga I shredded.
- Top with a bit of parsley.
- It's like you're eating naughty hash browns. Genius.