Asian Grilled Artichokes
I want to start off by saying that my heart is truly aching for the souls that were lost in Sunday morning’s terrible hate crime. I cannot imagine the pain the families, friends and community are going through right now. I will never understand the hatred people have for others. I hope that someday our children and children’s children will be raised in a world with more understanding, more love, and more acceptance for others. Until then, remember to be kind to people.
Sorry to start off on such a heavy topic. I usually try to stay away from that sort of thing, but I just can’t today. This hatred just cannot be ignored.
But I will lighten up the topic because all I want to do now is put a small smile on your face! Actually, that’s what I’m trying to do with just getting invisalign on Friday. But it has done the opposite for me. I’m definitely not smiling. I’m actually grumpy AF. For two reasons.
- I had to get these little cement dots on my teeth to help shift my teeth more. They are teeth colored but they make having invisalign way more obvious because those dots are on most of my front teeth.
- I have a constant headache while I’m wearing them. It’s definitely getting better but I find myself SO excited to take them off to eat. Which makes me want to eat more just so I can take them off.
A part of me slightly regrets getting them, but having straight teeth is just more important to me. I had braces back in 7th grade to get my teeth super straight and effed it all up by not wearing my retainer. So that’s what I get: head pain and embarrassment as an adult. While I coach now at my CrossFit gym, I’m spitting everywhere and have a lisp. I’m adorable.
Honestly, wearing invisalign is kind of like wearing an underwire bra that’s constantly poking you. So annoying.
Wait, if my child-like embarrassment isn’t making you smile then you MUST watch this. It has 12 million views, so I’m obviously late to the party, but I plan on ALWAYS watching this video if I’m ever feeling down.
Asian Grilled Artichokes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 artichokes, sharp leaves trimmed
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (I used this brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
For the sriracha dip
- ⅓ cup mayo (I used Primal Kitchen avocado mayo)
- 2–3 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons coconut vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- Place trimmed artichokes in a steamer basket and steam for 40-45 minutes, until leaves pull away from the whole artichoke easily. Remove from steamer pot.
- When cool enough to the touch, slice artichoke down the middle lengthwise. At this point, you can remove the “hair” and purple leaves that fill the middle of the artichokes with a spoon. They serve no purpose and have little “meat” on them. (I grilled the artichokes with that part still on just for photos because it’s so pretty!)
- Heat grill pan or grill to medium heat. Whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze then use a brush to brush half the glaze on the inside of the artichoke and into the leaves. Place cut side down on the grill plan then brush the rest of the glaze on the outside. Cook artichokes for 4-5 minutes per side, until grill marks are visible. Top artichokes with sesame seeds.
- Mix all ingredients for sriracha dip together.
- To eat: remove leaves and dip the ends in the mayo and scrape off with your teeth. See exact photos here if you have never ate an artichoke.
You May Also Like:
Fingerling Hasselback Loaded Potato Bites
Paprika Parsnip Fries with Sriracha Dipping Sauce
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!
20 thoughts on “Asian Grilled Artichokes”
Well, look at the Invisalign this way….. You could have gotten the old school braces like Miranda on Sex and the City and then go out on a date and get caviar stuck in your new grill!
sooooo true, even though i kind of feel like that anyways lol
On week 20 of my Invisalign and I feel your pain – but promise it gets better. The attachments on the teeth is the worst part, but a necessary evil. 🙂 can’t wait for straight teeth! headaches go away although each time I change to a new retainer they reoccur slightly. we adjust with our teeth! good luck!
how long do you have to have yours for? i’m suppose to be 20 weeks, but we will see!
bummer the invisalign is still noticeable. good to know though… i guess i always assumed they would be completely invisible?? how long do you have to wear them? you already have a gorgeous smile!
about 20 weeks!
These look great! Thanks for sharing.
If you can get through the first week, you can get through it all! I regretted Invisalign the first few days too but it’s totally worth it. I had 18 trays so 36 weeks but they flew by. Now I’ve been wearing my retainer like a good girl for 7 months and will keep it up forever haha
Wow!!! How has no one commented on the pug video yet… So great…. My pug Louie loved it too. Love your entire empire you have built for yourself. Keep rocking girl….
can I just start off by saying I just about fell off my chair when you said you were coaching your crossfit class and spitting everywhere. I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing because I’ve totally been there (and still have PTSD from it). You’re so awesome, thanks for the recipes and the inspiring and often times hilarious posts.
Curious to know – does the sriracha brand you use have added sugar? I’ve been searching in vain for one that doesn’t have any, or is at least a bit better than the standard grocery store brand.
Haha! I’m right there with you. Glue dots AND rubber bands. I hated myself so much while coaching in them though that now I take them out for classes. Which also keeps me from eating 9 times a day.
yeah i’m definitely going to take them out for classes from now on lol!
I got my Invisalign put on the same day I found out I was pregnant!!! Morning sickness and plastic retainers do NOT mix. It was rough. But three years later I have a beautiful little boy and teeth so straight strangers compliment them. It will all be worth it promise.
M y heart also goes out to the victims and their loved ones’ losses. It’s terrible as to what the violence here has come out towards.
Anyways, I would love to try these artichokes! I’ve never thought that artichokes could also complement an Asian marinade!
I would have never guessed you needed Invisalign since your teeth in your pictures look pretty straight! I hope the next 20 weeks aren’t too terrible for you!
thank you! i hope it goes by quickly lol!
Never made artichokes before, but these were delicious! Love the spicy mayo sauce! Will definitely make again, and very soon.
these were excellent! i am a big fan of the blog. thanks for making really tasty recipes, that isnt always the case with paleo. 🙂
awesome! glad to hear it ryanna!!