Chicken Enchilada Lasagna
The amount of food I ate this weekend was obnoxious. I haven’t done that in a while. Like, real naughty food. Most of the time I don’t “test it” because if I taste the food, I’m not stopping. And if I don’t stop, my insides will drop me to the floor. I can’t “cheat” very much at this point because my insides will tell me what’s up. And what’s up is, they hate bad food. But this weekend, I felt like being naughty. I had mint juleps, I had a five layer white cakes with fondant and buttercream frosting, I had the toppings of a pizza and one crust off a slice of pizza, then I had a balls ton of street tacos and a margarita. Yeah, I went to town. Do I feel like sh*t today? No. Do I look less than my best? Absolutely. I’m hoppin’ on that vegetable train this week.
Do you live in CO? If your answer is no, you should change that. Colorado is kind of the best. Hence why I have lived here my entire 25 years of life. But now I have even more reason to stay here. Pinche Tacos. If you haven’t heard of it, you should try it. And if you don’t know what pinche means in spanish, you should look it. Is it Pinche Tacos paleo? No. But it’s awesome. Street tacos galore and margaritas to die for. I don’t even like tequila and I was blown away by these guys. Next time I go there, I’m probably not going to eat a pound of chips, guac, and queso, but it was well worth it for my first Pinche experience. Again, if you don’t know what pinche means, look it up. You’ll think that last sentence was more funny.
Enough about damn tacos. And cake. And alcohol. It’s Tuesday, so that means the diet is back to boring and ordinary. Who am I kidding? I’m talking about enchilada lasagna in this post. And it was absolutely not boring. Quite fantastic based on my taste bud expertise. I made the lasagna with Cappello’s gluten free/grain free lasagna strips. The ingredients aren’t “paleo perfect” but they are pretty damn close and don’t make my stomach blow up like a balloon. The ingredients include almond flour, cage-free eggs, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, and sea salt. So if you’re allergic to any of those, don’t say that I didn’t say something. And another reason to love Colorado, Cappello’s is based out of Denver. Extra love.
Anywho. Since Cappello’s is so awesome, they are offering a 10% discount code to all you fabulous PaleOMG readers. Yep, that’s right! If you miss pasta like fettuccine, gnocchi, or lasagna, they have an answer for you! And then you not only can make your favorite pasta dishes, but my enchilada lasagna. And let’s be real here, that’s what’s actually important. Right? RIGHT!?!? So go to their site, and use the promo code ‘OMG’ (without the apostrophes you dummy!) and get your 10% off at checkout and try this recipe and love life and be happy forever. Again, OMG promo code. GO NOW.
This post is a lot about food. Which makes sense since this is a recipe website. But it’s kinda boring, huh? Whatever. I’ll do something stupid in the next few days so I have something else to talk about other than what I shove in my face. I’m sure the people who hate me out there are about to bash the sh*t out of me for my non-paleo eating ways. Damn you haters, damn you.
In the meantime, could you help me find a new car? It’s time.Print
- Yield: 4-6 1x
For the first part
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (or whatever you like or is on sale)
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes and diced green chiles (if you can’t find them mixed together, do 1 (14 oz) can of tomatoes and 1 (4-6 oz) can of green chiles)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the second part
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced (if you want it more spicy, leave the seeds in)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large can (28 ounces) el pato enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package (200 grams) kerrygold cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 head of hearts of romaine lettuce, shredded (or other crunchy lettuce)
- 1 package of Cappello’s lasagna sheets or homemade pasta by paleocupboard.com
- green onions, chopped, to garnish
- avocado, mashed
- lime, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degres.
- Place chicken in a large glass baking dish. Pour olive oil over chicken then add tomatoes, green chiles, and onions on top.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Let chicken cool slightly until you can touch it and then shred it.
- While your chicken is baking, place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the minced garlic, jalapeño, and yellow onion to the saucepan. Sprinkle with cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper and sauté until onions become translucent.
- Once onions have cooked, add the enchilada sauce and let simmer on low for about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the chicken is shredded, add half of the enchilada sauce mixture to the shredded chicken in the baking dish, and keep the other half for the lasagna.
- Now let’s put the enchiladas together. Place a couple tablespoons of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a glass 8×8 baking dish. Cut your lasagna strips in half to fit the baking dish. Place the strips down just like regular lasagna. Add sauce, chicken, shredded lettuce, and cheese. Then repeat, lasagna strips, sauce, chicken, lettuce and cheese until you get to the top. The top layer should be lasagna strips, topped with sauce and cheese.
- Cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes, still covered with foil.
- Top with green onions, avocado and a spritz of lime.
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!