Coconut Lemongrass Ginger Ceviche
Being back to reality after a 9 day vacation in the Caribbean should suck, but I’ve loved it. I get to walk my happy little dog, listen to my favorite podcasts, snuggle with my husband and eat home cooked meals. The only thing I’m not a fan of…is being back around grumpy, angry people. The Caribbean is filled with tan, Vitamin-D infused, smiling people. I don’t think I met an unhappy person while I was there. Even the people smoking cigarettes from the cartons that have packaging of people dying on the outside were still happier than some of the people back in Colorado. We have 300 days of sunshine, what are you so angry about?!?!
At our gym, sometimes we do warm-ups in the alley way for distance and there is a daycare center right next door so people are driving in and out later in the afternoon. So while we were squatting the other day in the middle of the alley, a guy creeps up right behind us so we see him and start moving out of the way. What does he do? He lays on his horn. Like we can’t see a giant dad car right in front of us. Way to set a great example for your children in the back of your car. And the next day, I have a green arrow to turn left so I let off the break and this kid comes out of no where and I almost hit him. He wasn’t even at the crosswalk, he was in the middle of the street. What does he do? Smacks my car like I’M the assh*le. Way to kill my vacation buzz vandad and rando kid.
Speaking of buzz, it feels so good to not drink sugary drinks anymore. On vacation, I totally let loose and had any drink that caught my eye. Piña colada? Yes please. Guavaberry colada? Suuuuure. Mudslide? F*CK YES…I’ll have 8. And I really did. We also had dessert every night while on vacation. Plus, my sister-in-law doesn’t like sweets so the cook would just set her dessert down in front of me. Even though I ate pretty damn healthy on vacation, I slammed the sugar DOWN. So being back home now is all about breaking up with that sugar demon. No more sugary drinks, no more dessert, no more giving in to cravings. It’s been a tough breakup, but I’m getting through it. Luckily, on my trip I didn’t eat just only dessert. I also had some of the best ceviche ever at Bo Káo in Gustavia which inspired me to make my own at home. It’s still not exactly the same…probably since I’m not looking over the ocean in a French town while eating fish that was caught that same morning…but it still gave me warm & fuzzy memories while I made it. Hope you enjoy my warm & fuzzies. Wait, what?!
Coconut Lemongrass Ginger Ceviche
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 4 lime leaves, rolled between fingers to release fragrance
- 1 lemongrass stalk, pounded to release fragrance
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 2 pounds halibut or mahi mahi, cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large jalapeño, minced (remove seeds for less spice)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- cilantro, chopped for garnish
- mint, chopped for garnish
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Place coconut milk, lime leaves, lemongrass, lime zest and salt in a saucepan and bring to boil, reduce and let cook for 10 minutes to reduce coconut milk mixture by half. Remove from heat, strain through a mesh strainer and place in the fridge to cool completely.
- Once cooled, toss halibut in a hefty pinch of salt then place fish, bell peppers, and jalapeño in a bowl with lime juice and toss to marinate and cook the fish. Add ginger and garlic and toss once more.
- To serve, add fish to a bowl, pour coconut milk mixture on top. Top with sliced red onion, cilantro, mint and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately!
You May Also Like:
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!
Oh, Hi! I’m Juli.
DON’T MISS A BITE
discounts, and stories straight to your inbox for FREE!